Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 219

Don B, BigKev, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: How to troubleshoot my overdrive?
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Jay said "I noticed a tendency for it to slip out of OD once in a while, but I can live with that."

The only car I ever had with an overdrive was a 1959 Rambler American. As far as I can remember there was a switch that was made when the throttle was pushed to the floor that would cause the over drive to drop out and revert to 3rd gear under. It acted like a passing gear on an automatic. Once you got up to the passing speed you wanted you let up on the gas pedal and it would again shift into over drive. This was also how you got it out of over drive if you wanted it to stay in 3rd under on the fly. You would kick the pedal to the floor and after it came out of over drive you either pulled or pushed, I can't remember, the over drive control to lock it out. If the over drive is dropping out before the pedal is pressed to the floor maybe that switch is out of adjustment. This may be worth looking into.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
After a few weeks of using my "new" overdrive, it is working flawlessly. I love to feel it drop into OD out of third (and even second) gear.

The initial tendency to come back out of overdrive has disappeared. I think it must like be like the "smoking 288" thread... it just needed to be run and used for a while, after a long period of inactivity and disuse.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 13:34
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Jay, Great news. I had my '47 out this week and I know the satisfaction of feeling and hearing that subtle shift into Overdrive. Mine has a working Electromatic clutch and it was fun using it also.

Posted on: 2008/8/3 20:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved