Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 114

JD in KC, Dbedsole, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: How odd -- not really
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the Ultramatic, If the lever is in L then the car will start and stay in low until you move lever to H. It will get up to maybe 30-35 and direct drive should come in. The engine will be screaming because it will still be in low range.

The transmission was not designed to operate this way. Normal operation is place lever in H. It will be in high range & have what can only be described charitably as leisurely acceleration. At anywhere from 20-40 depending on throttle position, direct drive will come in. If the transmission is working properly you will not or at least will barely feel a "shift". About the only thing many notice or hear is a slight drop in engine rpm when direct drive comes in. You don't have an overdrive with an Ultramatic so at speeds below about 50 or so, pushing the pedal to the floor should drop out direct drive -- if the throttle linkage is adjusted properly. At higher speeds, nothing will happen.

Many do start in L for a faster acceleration and then shift to H. The transmission was not designed to work this way until the later 54 gearstarts and TwinUltramatics were introduced and then it was done automatically. There is no timing control in the clutches and bands between the ranges when shifting manually on yours. Doing this shift under load or serious acceleration can do damage. If you do want to drive this way, let up on the gas while you make the shift and wait until H fully engages before getting on the gas again.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 21:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
This clears up a lot of confusion on my part! thanks for the info. Ill now be installing a little patients when accelerating from a stop.
next is to get the carb adjusted to prevent the light smoke coming from the tail pipe...hmmm

Posted on: 2013/7/28 22:30
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, My ex complained to me once in 1976 that our everyday driver 53 Packard Clipper Deluxe would not go over 55 mph when she was overtaking other cars. I found out that she was in Low range. That car sure went well .....Now have new Mrs and she knows where H is on the detent. If you start in H, there is no shift and all that you have is converter until the direct drive clutch locks the converter up. It is a definite surge when the Direct Drive engages and I have towed many laden car trailers with the Ultramatic. Many overhauls ignore the highly critical restoration of the clearances involved in the Ultramatics and Twin-ultramatics in the high range clutch/ front pump bushings and shaft area to get them working as they did originally. I am still an Ultramatic fan but the bits are getting harder to obtain. Best regards peter Toet

Posted on: 2013/7/29 6:37
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Thanks for the info Peter. This one I'm almost positive has never been rebuilt... or even properly serviced for 40 years It was my grandfathers who owned a Packard dealership back in the 40s and 50s. Is there a way to get it cleaned out and serviced without removal? I drained and refilled but no real noticeable change in performance yet.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 7:17
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
On both my "51 & '55 I dropped the Transmission Oil Pan & cleaned the gunk out of them as well as the metal screen. Then of course refilled with fresh fluid: Type "F" for the '51 & currently Type "FA" in the "55".

Posted on: 2013/7/29 13:07
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved