Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 170

Spencer B., series014, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel sender
Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Last year I purchased a fuel sender for a 57 Ford from D Carpenter as mention in the X-reference for my 56 Executive. It never worked right. When the tank is full, it read near 1/2. Yesterday I removed it to see if the float was off adjustment. I pushed the float to full, but the gauge read 1/2. Gauge will go to full when grounded, so it works. Are these Ford gauges the wrong resistance? Any ideas?

Posted on: 2013/4/28 19:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel sender
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is the correct year and model Ford sender it should work. Many have used them. If you have an ohmmeter, you can check it. With it disconnected from the car, place one meter lead on the terminal and the other to the metal cover.

With the float at the empty position it should read around 80 ohms and with the float at the full position around 10 ohms

Posted on: 2013/4/28 19:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
The reading is as follows; empty .132K, full .032K. I'm not into math, but is this 132 & 3 ohms? In any case should this sender work?

Posted on: 2013/4/29 10:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That number certainly isn't right. It could be a bad sender or a meter that is not too precise on that scale. It could even be a sender for a different car although a chart put together by a Ford supplier listing popular ranges for various car makes doesn't list anything close to those numbers.

Typically the King-Seeley gauges we used from 51-56 need the 10 full, around 80 empty. The Ford suppliers chart says 73 at the empty end but most other sites or stores selling universal senders say 80.

Probably wouldn't do any good to complain to Carpenter now since the sender wasn't used on a Ford. Maybe just cut the losses and get another one. Kanter now sells repro senders for the 51-56 at around $95. That's fairly close to the price others are selling the Ford senders for now.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.18 KB)
209_517ea2821b16f.jpg 637X234 px

Posted on: 2013/4/29 11:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
I took another look at it & found some junk on the circuit board of the sender. It sort of works "better". When sender is at full, the gauge reads a little over 3/4. So 1/2 tank would be at 1/4, and so on. This is probably Chinese junk sender anyways. I'll need to just get an authentic type as you suggest or an NOS Ford unit. Not plastic & solder. Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 16:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'm looking at Casco's catalog for 55-6-7 Tbirds and they list a 57 Ford sending unit for $79.63. You can see it online athttp://classictbird.com/

Posted on: 2013/4/29 20:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
I checked it out. Thanks Randy.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 20:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved