Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 177

Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Opinions on to Restore or Sell
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
I relize I overpaid for it but at the time I knew nothing of packard and didn't do the research on it and that is my fault! Volo auto museum where I bought it appraised it at $5,000 as it sat not running or driving which is a joke. That is done and I realized if I sold it I would most likely lose money.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
You got a very attractive body style Packard. Don't get discouraged - just follow the advice of the other old guys. Drop the gas tank and clean it out, blow out the fuel lines while the engine is soaking with some acetone and automatic transmission fluid injected thru the spark plug holes. Make sure you can turn the engine over by hand before you try anything with the starter.

I've been down this path many times. Enjoy the ride!

Posted on: 2013/4/29 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I know where you're coming from as I went through the same thing. My first car was a '68 Mustang that I attempted to restore from the ground up. I did pretty well until I ran short on cash and then college, job(s), marriage and a family stopped progress altogether. Then I sat on the project for too many years, letting myself become sour on the entire hobby. It wasn't worth it, as I allowed a stalled project to separate me from one of my biggest passions in life.

So, the way I see it, the greatest threat that you face is allowing this project to take on a life of its own that controls your ability to enjoy the hobby. If this particular project begins draining your passion for cars it's time to move on. Find something that provides you both enjoyment and an outlet for your interests. Just don't waste years deliberating like I did---make a decision and move on.

One other thought...if you sell the car and lose money, just remember that money is easier to recoup than time. Although I'm only 30-ish, I realize now that the greatest loss with my unfinished project wasn't money but time...time which I could have spent enjoying an old car instead of lamenting the inability to complete a restoration.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/4/29 13:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Think really hard about how much you like the car and what would make you happy in the end. You bought it as an impulse, but why do you want a project to begin with? Is it the pride of learning new skills and bringing a car back to life from the dead? Or is it the cheapest perceived way for you to get an old car? If the latter, then better to sell and find one already restored. May not take much to get running so I agree with the others and concentrate on that first.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 13:20
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
My goal with it was to gain the skills and make it what I want it not just a cheap way in. And when I say impulse it was about a 1-2 months from first seeing it to purchasing it. I really love the car and I think I need to take it one piece at a time to start making progress.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Andy:

Too bad you did ask us first. Dealer appraisals are always high because they have overhead to maintain.

I'm sure if you had made a take it or leave it offer they would have taken it. I like to watch this PBS tv show where they go to flea markets hammer down the asking prices and then take a bath at the auction.

It is very instructive. If you can get it running and stopping you can put it up on ebay with a reserve if you don't want to keep it.

I knew a guy - Dick Slobodien - and he used to say "If they won't take a realistic offer then it's not your deal"

Posted on: 2013/4/29 13:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
I will say I do watch ebay alot and have seen 2 1941's sell on the east coast not running and driving. One sold for $5k and was then relisted and dident see what it sold for the second go, and alittle over a month ago one sold for $3,500. That being said I am very realistic you need the right buyer and if I put it up on eBay I wouldn't expect to get what I paid for it. I think with all the great input I am atleast get it running and driving and at that point I think I will have built the confidence to do the whole car!

Posted on: 2013/4/29 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Great! Sounds like you got the car for the right reasons. Once you take it around the block, you will get hooked! It will take some time, but think of it as a learning experience and don't rush. You can always do a body on rolling restoration so you can enjoy driving it while you clean things up. That car looks a lot more solid than what a lot of people start with so you should be OK.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 14:32
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Andy:

The experience you gain from taking a car like your Clipper from a gigantic paper weight to an actual driving machine will make you accept the fact that you may have overpaid for it. And I do mean "may." There are not a lot of these cars around and they are very desireable and once restored, are just about the prettiest thing on the road. Don't give up without at least giving it a shot. Follow the others' advice and get the Clipper to run. You will be amazed at how smooth that straight-eight runs. You can't do everything in one day -- just do the best that you can. You can access Packard Service information on this site, including shop books, that will guide you along. Join the National Packard Club and one or two local clubs. The members in your area can be a great help when you are trying to track down parts or need some advice. If you haven't already figured it out, you are not alone out there. More than anything else, the folks on these sites want youi to succeed and want you to enjoy your Packard.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 13:42
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Mr Bubble I appreciate the words of encouragement! I am fine over paying for it in the end it is just green paper(which I could always use more of!) lol but seriously I do love the car and this encouragement is just what I need to keep going! I know I will love working on it and getting her back on the road after 48 years asleep! And I appreciate how great everyone had been to me! Still planning on joining the national and Chicago Packard group just haven't gotten to it yet! But again I really appreciate all the advice it is going to be a fun long road and it is great to know people care!

Posted on: 2013/4/30 13:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved