Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

charlieshot, DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Frame Rust Repair
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
I'm having some rust problems repaired on the frame. Does anyone know the alloy composition of the carbon steel used for the frame?

Posted on: 2013/5/1 20:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Frame Rust Repair
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

57 Detroit Built
See User information
Do not know what the composition was back then. But living in Pennsylvania, the rust-belt state, I have repaired hundreds of frames. We always used A-36 steel, or what is know as mild, to do the repair. Cut out the rusted area, overlap with the patch at least 1/2 inch beyond cut, and weld in with Lincoln 6010 or 5P 1/8th rod. Only use the same thickness of what the original frame was. This will give it the flexibility as originally built. Anything thicker will cause the frame to crack elsewhere. Most car frames are of a soft steel so as to give and bend but not break.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 20:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Frame Rust Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information

Posted on: 2013/5/4 21:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved