Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

41-7 Clipper fresh air option
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is more a question of curiosity than need. Speculation would be welcome but actual observation would be definitive.

Was sorting thru my 47's interior components and among the finds was a knob and cable setup labeled "Fresh Air". The assy mounts in the dash. My car never had the option.

Question is with an owner buying that option, one might logically assume it would be added to an otherwise well equipped car. With limited space in the dash and assuming the car was well optioned, which button or function would most likely be removed to add the fresh air knob. Choices would be Heater, Defroster, Fog Lite and Electromatic. The other 4 knobs - Headlights, Instr Lights, Map Light and Cigar Lighter -- are must haves due to function or hole size -- although I suppose it is possible to fill in one of the two large holes.

Assuming all those switches and knobs were used or required, what do you think they would do or if you were the owner, what dash knob would most likely be sacrificed and either go under the dash or be eliminated.

I know there was a thread at one time with a wiring question and the possibility of heater and defroster switch being shared was mentioned. Don't believe that idea was ever conclusively put to rest and there would be a downside to sharing. You might not want both blasting hot air at the same time.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.63 KB)
209_5183d7553b14a.jpg 413X258 px

jpg  (33.46 KB)
209_5183eb1ab00f7.jpg 627X640 px

Posted on: 2013/5/3 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 41-7 Clipper fresh air option
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I am wondering if Packards from southern areas had the heater as an option in which case the fresh air feature might have replaced either the heart or defroster switch location?

Posted on: 2013/5/3 18:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WC
See User information
When i had a '41 Clipper, it had been delivered without a heater, in Atlanta, GA. The car had been fitted with a "Hadees V8" heater (no defroster) but there was no fresh air control or duct work. Maybe this started in '42?

Posted on: 2013/5/3 19:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

WC wrote:
When i had a '41 Clipper, it had been delivered without a heater, in Atlanta, GA. The car had been fitted with a "Hadees V8" heater (no defroster) but there was no fresh air control or duct work. Maybe this started in '42?

Not sure when it was first offered.

There was a photo posted of the engine compt flapper valve assy on site or a car on ebay with it sometime last year. I neglected to grab a copy but basically they cut a hole in the dash immediately behind the defroster/footwarmer -- or if the owner elected for the deluxe heater, behind that. The information states the option is for those owners desiring to regulate the intake of fresh air into the car and in mild climates that defroster/footwarmer air may be all that is needed.

That last bit kind of makes it sound as if the defroster switch was the one to go but if the car isn't moving, there would be no defroster. I'd hate that arrangement as one could imagine the car would fog up fairly quickly if stopped for any length of time and no air flow. Of course, some defrosters didn't do much more than make noise then so maybe not much difference with or without air.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved