Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: brakes easamatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard I agree with you. I should have added another statement in my posting: Of course, new ones are preferred.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/14 15:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Guys and Gals
well, gave up on the rebuild as my master needed to be machined and the large diaphragm needed to be replaced.
SOOOOO bought a rebuilt from Max Merit.
Also put new hoses and wheel cylinders on front could not get rear drums off as I do not have proper tool. so put it back together and bled the system. used one of those hand pumps that are supposed to suck the fluid to the wheel.

I have bled a few systems but never a Packard and maybe never a single master system. after playing with it I managed to get a pedal but it is not right, it does not return so well. perhaps there is still air in the system but the wheels seemed to be without any air. my experience was the flow was adequate when bleeder opened no air seemed present.

Well my old bones were aching so I gave up for the day. I plan to re bleed brakes in morning.

comments appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

Posted on: 2013/5/17 19:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Pedal return should have little to do with bleeding the system. There is mostly the single large spring behind the power piston to return pistons and pedal. If the lubricant or leather piston seal has gummed or gotten sticky from sitting on the shelf, perhaps that is slowing down the action. Also make sure the pedal is swinging freely and carpet, alignment, or the rubber entrance bushing is not binding the operating rod.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 20:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had ACOlds hone my vacuum cylinder and I soaked the leather in vacuum oil before installing. Original Easamatics were touchy and required a light foot.
Friend Chris always said you needed to keep all the windows rolled up in the summer. If not, a fly could get in and may land on the brake pedal putting you thru the windshield.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 21:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
I've had the luxury of driving four different Packards with Easamatic brakes-- a '52, '53, '54, and '55 -- and I can say with certainty that they are all different, but when set up properly, they work very well. The '52 stops like a modern car-- firm pedal, gentle give, quick return -- whereas the '55 was so touchy that if you didn't watch it, you'd lock the brakes and throw everyone through the windshield. The '53 was somewhere in the middle, that is until the booster failed and started sucking brake fluid into the intake, leaving you hopefully enough fluid to pump up pressure. The 55 turned out to have 2 leaky wheel cylinders, so the shoes would grab suddenly.

Two things are responsible for pedal return-- the spring in the booster unit and the return spring on the brake shoes themselves. Check your drums and shoes to make sure you've got good springs in there.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 1:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
I've had the luxury of driving four different Packards with Easamatic brakes-- a '52, '53, '54, and '55 -- and I can say with certainty that they are all different, but when set up properly, they work very well. The '52 stops like a modern car-- firm pedal, gentle give, quick return -- whereas the '55 was so touchy that if you didn't watch it, you'd lock the brakes and throw everyone through the windshield. The '53 was somewhere in the middle, that is until the booster failed and started sucking brake fluid into the intake, leaving you hopefully enough fluid to pump up pressure. The 55 turned out to have 2 leaky wheel cylinders, so the shoes would grab suddenly.

Two things are responsible for pedal return-- the spring in the booster unit and the return spring on the brake shoes themselves. Check your drums and shoes to make sure you've got good springs in there.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 1:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
took it for a ride today and the brakes seem like modern brakes not too overly sensitive just right. the pedal seems to work better with use on the slow return issue. it will go in the garage for 2 weeks before tool comes and I can play with rear drums.

the pedal still does not return completely and I am thinking it requires break in time.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
I would like to thank all for help with my master rebuild. I ended up with a very nice unit from max merit that is working very nicely. I am now looking at hydraulic system for top and windows. thank you again.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 17:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved