Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Bad OD Solenoid?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Tomorrow I'm gonna go at it again.. Just to be sure, since I don't see any markings on the solenoid even after a good scrubbing, the terminal that has continuity with the case goes to the yellow wire for the governor, the other terminal is power to the solenoid? Also, what gauge wire are we talking when you say I need a pretty beefy test lead? The power wire going to it looks like 16 gauge, is this should be ok for test leads, yes? I'll post back with results after I mess with it.. I'm really wanting to get this thing working, only being able to do 55 on the freeway is killing me!!!! It'll be nice to see 70+!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/15 5:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The terminal with continuity with the case is for power and goes to the relay terminal that says "sol". That is the one you should jump to with a heavy wire and get a satisfying clickshunk noise. The other terminal is open and goes to the upper pair of terminals on the kickdown switch and is used for shorting the ignition a couple beats so the overdrive can disengage under load. I'd use 10 or 12 gage, or just an old jumper cable. If it doesn't click right away take the cable off--don't wait for it to change its mind.

I am headed to do the exact same test on a 53 Stude truck first thing this morning, but plan to start down at the solenoid and then work back. That would be the best plan for you also.

Incidently, Studebaker International has had these solenoids reproduced. I know they are interchangable as I just stuck a Packard unit into this Studie for testing on Friday and it fit and worked just fine.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 6:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
well it look like the solenoid is bad... I had it installed and took the cover off, re-cleaned the points, then grounded the yellow wire (too agrivated to think what one, but the right one ) the relay clicks, and I'm getting a good 6.4 volts to the solenoid, but it doesn't move. How much are the re-pop Studebaker solenoids?

Posted on: 2013/5/15 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
SCRATCH THAT!!!!!!! I switched to some beefier jumper cables....BAM! solenoid does indeed work... just not thru the relay. WOOOO HOOOO!! Now to clean the relay, or replace it.. I found a nice article on a Stude forum after some searching that shows replacing the relay with a 6v unit from RadioShack. Seems pretty simple and effective, I might go that route if all else fails.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 16:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Could be the relay. It's a different one from those usually seen and maybe toast. Have you tried to bring it in manually by grounding the wire connecting it to the kickdown switch? If it comes in but no solenoid then definitely a problem there or with the wire to solenoid. If it doesn't come in I'd look carefully at the kickdown switch & lockout switch as well as the governor. Any of those could be a part or cause of the problem by not providing a ground signal. Governor particularly has had issues with bad or oxidized ground connections between the case and it's contact and the contacts themselves.

I don't know if you will still find a 6v relay big enough at Radio Shack. It needs to carry at least 30 amps & their inventory has shrunk quite a bit. If you don't find one, a VW headlight relay available from some parts stores has been used by others in place of the OD relay. Here's a number provided by one poster. Bosch 0332204001, used as a headlamp relay on older (pre-1968) VWs. Those are getting harder to come by as well but Newark still has 6v coil relays

Posted on: 2013/5/15 17:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Well.....it works!!!!!! I took everythin apart, cleaned everything, polished every connection to 1000grit, put it all back together and it works smooth as could be!! Wind it out in 2nd, let off the gas, and soft *thunk* into overdrive!!! It does its automatic shift even smoother than my girlfriends Honda! I'm so freakin happy! I would still be cruising right now if I had enough gas...

Thanks for all the help!! Now I just have to figure out this sputtering problem.........

Posted on: 2013/5/15 18:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
So today I after some more tuning of the points and timing, I took it on the freeway for the first time... The OD makes all the difference in the world!! She just chugs along at 75mph like its nothin!

Posted on: 2013/5/18 18:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Congratulations--and that is why so many of us love the contour cars.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Ok, so I've been driving the Packard to school this past week, happy as a clam. Until today!! Me and my girlfriend are cruising to my buddy's house to shoot the breeze and check out the progress on his '60 Suburban, I go to get on the freeway in 2nd, let off the gas, and no click. I shift right into 3rd and wind it up to around 45 and it clicks into OD when i let off the throttle, but kicks right back out as I give it gas. I babied it along to the next exit and took surface streets home. I check the relay again by grounding the yellow wire. Both the relay and the solenoid click. Does thus mean the governor could be the culprit?? That's the only part I haven't touched yet...

Posted on: 2013/5/25 16:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most likely are governor or kickdown switch. Governor contacts can get dirty and the mechanism worn. There is also one of the little screws which holds the bottom cover on that actually provides the ground internally. It's the cover screw on top of the little metal strap. That screw getting corroded or loose has been a known item.

The kickdown switch could also be loose or misadjusted, dirty or a connection loose. Ground to the relay starts at the governor and goes thru kickdown as well as the lockout switch. Lockout switch is not too likely but something is interrupting the ground signal so the relay is not coming in or is dropping out prematurely.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 16:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved