Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 198

BigKev, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Dual Action Fuel Pump Diagram
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
all, regardless of AC or Carter as original or aftermarket in Packards , I have never been refused the refund of a core charge because it wasn't the same brand as the replacement. If this turns out to be the case, we all had better be ready to give up the core charge whenever we buy replacement parts for our cars.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 12:44
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, my 47 Custom Clipper has a single action Carter fuel pump. Single action because the car is equipped with electric wipers. And, in agreement with your statement: My 55 Clipper has a single action Carter fuel pump.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/28 15:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just had an email from Kanters advising me that the 53-54 SMALL engines had a Carter pump and that the parts list indicates this - I didn't check the parts book before I posted. Kanter says if the car came with a Carter, they ship a Carter, if it came with an AC, they ship an AC.

I'm just the messenger here but I did just check the parts listing and it does indeed specify which models used AC and which had Carter, so no mystery - just checking the resource that already available to all here.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 17:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
A question about installation of the dual action fuel pump. After installing the AC pump I noticed that it had a red plastic pad on the end of the pump arm. I discovered that that is to inform the supplier if the pump was installed correctly. That is if the red color shows wear the cam lobe is hitting the pump arm correctly. I will remove my pump again and check for wear. I thought that the pump was just a 'bolt on' process, is there a trick to the installation that I am unaware? I know that more modern GM engines have a metal pin that must be pushed up before insertion of the fuel pump arm, is there such a thing in my 288 L8 engine?

Posted on: 2013/5/29 9:07
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I thought that the pump was just a 'bolt on' process, is there a trick to the installation that I am unaware?

The pump is indeed just a "bolt on" process; all you need to observe is that the face of the arm that rides on the camshaft lobe does indeed face the cam lobe. I doubt you would be able to bolt the pump up completely without it being correct without damaging the pump itself as the wrong side of the arm would be on the wrong side of the cam lobe. Depending on the position of the cam lobe, there will be some resistance when bolting up as the cam begins to actuate the arm and pump diaphragms.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice from O_D. No pump push rod on the Packard straight-8s. You can also rotate the engine so that the lobe for the fuel pump is at its lowest point. This will reduce the pressure needed to install the pump. This is usually not required, but it does make the job easier.

(o{}o)

Edit: As was pointed out to me, in a most considerate manner, the above comment about fuel pump push rods only applies to the monoblock engines. The earlier, pre-war 320s and 385s used a push rod to activate the fuel pump. The need for a push rod was because the pump was on the opposite side of the engine from camshaft. Thanks, Dave.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 10:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Do you have your electric plumbed thru the mechanical? If so, if you disconnect the line at the carb and run the electric only does gas flow. If so, I'd guess pump or valves are messed up and Max should make good. If no flow, is the outlet to carb on the bottom port with the pulse dome next to radiator?

I didn't catch this about a 'pulse dome' in all the excitement. The new AC pump didn't come with any fittings or attachments from MM. It does have a small threaded hole in the top of the extrusion for the outlet. I just thought that this was an attach point for another fuel line (dual carbs?). Anyway, I put a small plug in the hole to seal it up. Since I had a Carter fuel pump before, I looked and saw no such 'pulse dome' attached to it. I think that this is probably the reason why the new AC pump is not working (at least the fuel section, that is the vacuum section runs the wiper motor ok).

Posted on: 2013/5/30 23:41
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The air dome or pulse dome on the outlet just provides an air cushion to smooth out the pulsations from the pump discharge. Not having one will not stop the pump from working, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 0:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

BDeB wrote:
The air dome or pulse dome on the outlet just provides an air cushion to smooth out the pulsations from the pump discharge. Not having one will not stop the pump from working, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

But, would plugging the hole stop the flow? Geez, that just sounds wrong

Posted on: 2013/5/31 0:31
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
But, would plugging the hole stop the flow?

No.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 7:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved