Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 185

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 Packard generator update
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
after loosing most of last summer some and this summer to date over generator issues. Tracing down wiring having Generator totally rebuilt new bushes rewound armature and fields also rewound tried several cut outs and several regulators generator out of the car back to the place that rebuilt it 3 times. They told me it works fine. But still no charging. I decided to send it to someone else. While also looking for another Generator. I located 1 installed it Charges great I adjusted the third bush so charging rate is 7.40 at cutout and 7.15 at battery should this Be higher? The third brush was maxed out. I have to wonder if the generator shop ever checked it when I took it back. This problem drove me crazy because they kept saying It worked. I did find someone that reproduces field coils for owen dyneto Generators the Item is so new its not on the website www.mylifestyle.com I wanted to share that so someone else might get some help. Thanks for all the good advice from the people that answered my questions on Packardinfo.com

Posted on: 2013/6/23 11:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 Packard generator update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 29:

Maybe you could disassemble the old generator and take pictures. I would like to see this armature rewind job.

Usually commutators wear out, short out, or the windings short circuit. If you isolate which one then I suppose you could fix it, but not every one of them. They should have called you and told it will cost a thousand dollars extra.

You can test the armature for shorts and opens using a cheap ohmmeter. You can test the fields the same way.

The specified charge rate is 10-12 amps at 18-20 miles per hour adjusted via turning the movable brush. Using a portable meter because they say Packard ammeters are not accurate. (that's what Packard says. Hmmm, what about their speedometers?).

If they said it works then they must have a special setup to run it. I'd hand them a $20 and ask for a demonstration.
Never mind, I don't believe them.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 15:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved