Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 400 steeting column
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Looks like I am stuck once more. I have been attempting to remove a steering column from a 55 400 with no luck. All under dash support has been removed along with all items attached to the column ,and the clamp at the steering box is off. I can pry the column about an eight to a quarter of an inch from the steering box but no more. There is an indentation on the top surface of the column where it mates to the box. Can this be my problem? Is it necessary to pry this segment out an away from the box shaft?

"unhappy" Happy

Posted on: 2013/6/29 12:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 400 steeting column
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check the bearing around the shaft at the very top of column. 55s used the same setup as earlier so see if there is a round ring around the shaft and sort of nestled down inside the bearing. It may be thin stamped steel friction fit & slipped over the shaft or it may actually be a round split snap ring in a groove around the shaft. At any rate, if you find one remove it because it can prevent the column from lifting.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.40 KB)
209_51cf1e19314da.jpg 594X638 px

Posted on: 2013/6/29 12:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved