Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 253

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: brake spring question for the mentally challenged
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
OK, I have my front brakes apart and I have the orange and yellow springs. The brake shoes are exactly the same front and back, and the springs were assembled the same on both wheels (looking at the brakes after pulling the drum off) - orange left, yellow right. So that means that on the LH wheel the orange spring was toward the front, and on the RH wheel it was toward the back.

So, which shoe would be the "primary" and it would get the smaller (orange) spring? This is on a '52 200, the parts list shows the same PN springs for both by the way to make it more confusing.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 19:24
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The primary shoe is the forward-facing shoe regardless of wheel and as originally supplied had a shorter length of lining that the secondary because the secondary shoe provided the greater amount of braking effort. Often it also had a different lining material to give different frictional properties - such distinctions are generally disregarded these days when relining. Where the return springs are different, the weaker spring always goes on the primary shoe so that it contacts the drum first and applies the caming force (the so-called 'self-energizing" force) to the secondary shoe.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Gotcha, thanks David

Posted on: 2014/1/4 22:06
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved