Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
54 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 53

Scott, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Enough of motors and such; I have a real problem!
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Has anyone devised a workable, practical fix that makes the door stops function effectively?

I'm tired of having my leg crunched!

Posted on: 2013/7/20 15:48
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Enough of motors and such; I have a real problem!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think there is a good fix. Even if you changed the assy to a new one the design isn't very strong. I think changing it and hoping for the best would be the only "fix" in your circumstances -- unless your mechanic wants to get creative and experiment with redesigning it for a different spring arrangement.

The round piece (arrow) is mounted inside the door. The bar slides thru it as the door opens. On the round part there are a couple of pieces of spring steel which ride against the bar and drop into a sort of notch affair on the bar when the door is open. IIRC, there are two spots or door positions with notches. Once the spring steel weakens & wears or one of the pieces breaks off there is not much holding power. A fix would mean changing the spring steel to something more robust and figuring out how to mount it.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.63 KB)
209_51eafdea7e207.jpg 157X87 px

Posted on: 2013/7/20 16:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
my piece on the door came off, there is a rectangle there now, i guess that is spot welded..

are those door rivets around?, i guess you grind it off from bottom.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 12:42
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
i guess you grind it off from bottom.

They have you file off the peened over side -- whichever that one is to remove it. Instructions on how to change the door check assy are on page 18 in body section of SM.

You have to remove the rivet to remove the door so rather than rivet it on again I just bought new steel rivets and dropped them into position. I don't remember the size but around 3/16" or 1/4" diameter x 1/2" long. The rivet looks normal and gravity and the head keeps it from falling thru. Being a new rivet, it is long enough to capture both sides of the mount attachment. Benefit of that method is it's easy to pop out again if need be.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 12:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
thanks howard

i was reading about threaded rivets, i think that come in that size, i think there was a post here,, might not be strong enough,

the drop in works....

thanks,,,,

Posted on: 2013/7/21 13:19
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved