Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electromatic clutch question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
I have tested the operation of the electromatic clutch in my 1948 Victoria convertible. When I engage the system when the car is running by pushing the transmission button on the dash, the diaphragm does pull back on the cable and disengage the clutch, however, the clutch pedal does not go to the floor. I have driven another '48 Packard that had this feature years ago, and I could swear that the clutch pedal went to the floor when the system disengaged the clutch. Can anyone confirm this as proper function; e.g.step on the gas, the clutch pedal is released, let up on the gas, the clutch pedal goes to the floor.

If the clutch is supposed to go to the floor, am I missing some sort of linkage component that is supposed to move it to the floor? If so, can someone show me a diagram of what I may be missing, or perhaps what might be disconnected on my system? I can't seem to see any such linkage in the drawings I have seen.

I am trying to tune up this system, but don't feel I can even test drive it, without have some visible indication from inside the car of when and how the clutch is disengaged.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 15:57
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Re: Electromatic clutch question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I remember the pedal going down on some cars and believe -- but won't swear -- that it depends on which link you have between the relay lever and pedal and also a spring.

If you have the bar type with the rectangular slot like that in the top photo then I believe the Electromatic does all it's business without moving the pedal. The slot will take up the motion of the relay lever as the power cylinder actuates it. If you have the type link in the second photo with just the hole at each end, then I believe the pedal has no choice but to follow each time the power cylinder moves the relay lever.

There is a spring involved. On the pedal connection to the link there may be a spring going up to the end of the relay lever. It's not shown in parts other than in the general illustration of complete engine/trans with early version Electromatic attached. I believe if that spring is present it will hold the pedal in the up position while the movement is taken up in the slot. As the Electromatic moves the relay lever, the spring tension is also increased to keep the pedal from moving. If that spring were removed or was broken, even with the slot in the link the pedal would fall by gravity as the Electromatic does it's work.

If you have the no slot link and still no pedal movement than I am puzzled and would appreciate knowing what else might be involved too.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.72 KB)
209_51f590ddd39f1.jpg 640X270 px

jpg  (9.58 KB)
209_51f590e72ab8b.jpg 640X140 px

Posted on: 2013/7/28 16:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved