Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

HOOD REPAIR
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have noticed that the hood on my 1954 Clipper has two repair spots on the sides. Like many of the older larger hoods they tended to bend and break as the hinges got stiffer. One of the repairs is cracking again. What is the best way to repair and reinforce, or should I go for a replacement hood?

Posted on: 2013/7/30 15:16
 Top  Print   

Re: HOOD REPAIR
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 56 has a thin 90 degree stamped angle on both sides -- but it sits slightly above the bottom edge of the hood sheemetal. I'm not sure if that is part of the structure or was meant as a reinforcement.

Not sure where yours is cracking but if it doesn't have anything like that some 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/8 thick angle iron from the hardware store could serve as a reinforcement. On the 56 at least there is enough sheetmetal on the bottom edge that adding a length of angle on each side to span several inches above and below the weak spot and securely attaching it might do some good.

To avoid damage and repainting from any welding, it could be bolted in from the bottom using thin 8 or 10-32 truss head screws. Not sure if any screws could be added from the side though. On the 56 there would have to be washers or some sort of spacer between the hood sheet metal and the angle iron to fill in the gap. Otherwise looks fairly simple and would not be readily seen.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 16:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: HOOD REPAIR
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I was thinking about adding material on the sides in the groove. I was thinking of using JB Weld instead of screws to attach.
I may do both, fit and us JB Weld then add a few screws.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 16:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved