Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion level switch - broken wire repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all , I have a 56 Patrician and recently it sat down at the rear and would not come back to normal height. I switched off the system, put the vehicle on a hoist and discovered that the UP limit switch was open circuited. Immediately adjacent to the up switch (beside the tailshaft) the plastic was ok but it felt a bit soft and sure enought the copper underneath was broken. I checked out the availability of NOS switches and they are about $175 which is OK except that they are also 50 plus YO. I decided to repair and cut the remaining wire about 4 inch from the switch. I put the switch in a lathe and spun the swage off the end to allow the switch to come out. What a well made and solid switch! I soldered new wires onto the contacts, roughed up the interior of the casing with 180 grit, mixed up some 5 minute Araldite which I coated the switch block internals with. Pulled the new wires and block into the housing and left it for 24 hours to set. I fitted snap connecters to the wires and did not have to disconnect anything from the torsion switch box. It works extremely well and I would do it again anyday. i hope that this has been of some help Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/3/26 6:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Torsion level switch - broken wire repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Methinks that there's gotta be some sort of switch that will interchange with the '56 T/L limit switches. I've been eyeballing some 4X4 transfer case switches that look very similar, but the thread is different. If I could find some that will work, but you have to either solder the wires on, or do like I would do, and put a connector on them, would anyone be interested?

Posted on: 2007/3/26 7:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would certainly be interested in having a spare at a reasonable cost.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 8:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
GREAT tip Peter. But what is Arildite???? Where can i buy it???

Posted on: 2007/3/26 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all and thanks for the interest. Araldite is a trade name and is a two pack adhesive with probably at least a dozen equivalents in the US ( J.B Were's liquid metal?) I was very impressed with the quality of the original switch internals with no oxodising or burning after 50 years, and doubt that a modern switch would be any better, apart from the unknown problems of having to adjust one switch to another application.
Before I affected the repair I looked at, and purchased some alternative switches and they all relate "generally" to reversing switches and are useless as they "generally" operate in reverse to our limit switches with less current rating.
I decided to fit the snap connectors because the original wires are long and the unbroken one would be difficult to control in the lathe as you spin off the swage. The whole operation was extremely simple and it is akin to your first swim ,in that you are confident, yet scared to attempt it, but exhiliarated when you succeed. Good luck and don't throw any of the old ones out. Best Regards from Down Under Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/3/27 3:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Good on 'Ya, mate!

Posted on: 2007/3/27 6:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Maybe you will find some at Ebay.com

Posted on: 2007/4/13 4:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved