Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 senior packard radiator shutters
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi all,

I am back at the oracle to be educated by those who know. I am working on the thermostatic shutters on my car (1929 Seven Passenger Sedan). There are small "u" shaped steel strips (about an eighth of an inch wide) welded about every six inches around the perimeter of the shutter frame...right where it would otherwise rub up against the back of the chrome plated radiator shroud. They stand straight out from the shutter about a quarter of an inch (havent measured them exactly) Well, besides most of them being bent into grotesque shapes, several of them have been torn off completely....no doubt I will be re-shaping and welding these little critters back on.

Here is my question...what purpose do they serve? Were they the early version of weatherstrip clips? If so, where do I find the weatherstrip, and what was it made of? If not, are they just spacers to keep the shutters from rattling against the shroud? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

John Wogec

Posted on: 2013/8/14 15:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 senior packard radiator shutters
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
John,
I vaguely remember the remains of a few of those clips on the shutter frame of my 1929 but I think most had broken off - it was a while ago. I believe they were there to hold a felt strip to prevent rubbing or rattling of the shutter frame against the back edge of the radiator surround.
I mounted the shutter frames on mine with a small clearance to the radiator surround.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 16:58
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 senior packard radiator shutters
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi David,

Thanks. I grew up looking at this car, but obviously not close enough. If there was some sort of felt padding there it is long gone.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 17:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved