Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

32 deluxe 8 running warm-maybe solved
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I've been fighting with my 903 Coupe Roadster the issue of running to warm in stop and go traffic and vapor lock. I think I have found the solution I like to share. I was considering customizing a flex fan to replace the stock fan or a custom fan shroud.

While in stop and go traffic Weds in 90 degree weather, I decided with the hand throttle to set the idle higher. The end result was the car never got beyond 3/4 on the temp gauge. Also while on a 4 day tour this week, I used 6 oz of two cycle oil per tank and car ran cool even while climbing grades. Never really got above half way except when stopped for extend periods of time and I actually never raised the idle level during the whole tour except once when stopped for an extended period of time. Also never experienced any vapor lock. I was using Ethanol 10 fuel.

There was a 29 Packard also on the tour. The owner was running his idle much higher than mind and you could feel the greater flow of air when you stuck you hand in his hood vents. So perhaps the increase idle to increase airflow will solve any in traffic heating issues I had an dthe oil additive may help control vapor lock. I need to also look at other 32's pulley sizes as they possibly could had been changed to decrease fan speed.

I'm running a electric fuel pump Airtex E8902 (4 PSI) directly to the carb.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 23:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 32 deluxe 8 running warm-maybe solved
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Mr. TBird,
That is very interesting. I just experienced the same thing in preparation for the State Fair parade held yesterday. Earlier this year, I barely made in through a similar parade - engine got way too hot. So, I advanced the timing a bit, and I also increased the idle speed. While the weather was about 10 degrees cooler yesterday, this time around the Clipper ran noticeably cooler and I no problems at all. Interesting.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Mark
P.S. Luck for us, ethanol is not used up here.

Posted on: 2013/8/26 0:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 32 deluxe 8 running warm-maybe solved
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Mark,

We can get Ethanol free unfortunately it is in very few locations and is much more expensive. I ran it all last year and never had vapor lock. However I had it the first time out this year and I stopped using it. Hadn't had vapor lock after that. Just started using the 2 cycle oil additive and hope that works.

I won't use my Packard in parades as it's the ultimate torture test for a car.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 10:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved