Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 128

Tim, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power window motor failure -- again!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The driver side power window motor on my 55 Pat quit about 10 days ago. I had a spare right hand one that seemed to work, but I couldn't get the two cobbled together to make a working combination. So, I drove to my friend Paul's in Las Vegas and he had a few cores from which we were able to make one left hand (driver) side work. A couple of days later, I installed it in my 55 Pat and now again have a working D-side PW.

One thing to make note of, the 1955 aluminum body motor is NOT compatible internally with the 1956 steel body motor, so the internal core parts are NOT compatible. The armature and wiring is a different design. A complete motor would interchange though if you have the correct handed one.

The next time I have a PW motor failure, I may have to go to an aftermarket generic PW lift/motor setup that completely replaces the factory regulator and motor. The switches should work though.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:09
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Power window motor failure -- again!
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
What usually goes: the gears or the electricals?

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:51
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Power window motor failure -- again!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
patgreen Quote:
What usually goes: the gears or the electricals?

About 50/50. On the mechanical side, it's usually the worm gear driveshaft that shears. In that case, you have to find another motor with a good armature and shaft/wormgear.

On the electrical side, it's usually a short/open in the windings. The brushes/commutator seems OK. In that case, you also need either a good armature or housing winding.

Since aluminum and steel housing units are different internally, that limits your ability to cobble together one good one out of several.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:59
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved