Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'49 23rd air cleaner/silencer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think what U have is missing the top. This was manufactured by "AC" (Delco). There's a good picture of one in the "plates" in the service manual listed in literature and manuals. This is mine - I just "restored".

Attach file:

jpg  (201.01 KB)
13733_5220dd2fc6076.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/8/30 12:58
 Top  Print   

Re: '49 23rd air cleaner/silencer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Thank you for the photograph of the correct AC air cleaner atop the carb in the picture.

I agree with you completely. I have an AC air cleaner body and a top lid to it, but the top lid is firmly affixed to the body of the pot. Also the top lid has a very small bridge across about 3 inches of the center with a screw for a wing nut. The wing nut is long gone and I have wondered what the screw was for. Any ideas???

I am now in the market for a proper air cleaner for my 1949 Packard.

Again, thank you for the photograph.

Zougeride

Posted on: 2013/8/31 8:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Thanks for the photograph of your air cleaner.

I found one for a 1947 Packard on e-Bay, but it looks larger than yours.

If you have the time and inclination would you please post the height measurement of your air cleaner.

From the photographs of the e-Bay air cleaner it appears to be 13 inches in height.

I don't want to hand out $100.00 dollars for an air cleaner that is not proper for my 1949 Standard.

Thanking you in Advance and again thank you for posting the photograph of your air cleaner.

P.S. don't know if $100.00 for one is too much????????

Zougeride
Exotic Tomball, Texas

Posted on: 2013/9/15 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Sorry for delay, I don't go on here everyday.
What you describe to me still sounds like you are missing the lid. I've removed mine to show the support and threaded section and where the filter goes. (The purists are doing to go nuts, because the paint is not correct, It was rusted and I blasted it and had to paint.) The inside where the filter goes should be bare metal.
The height is around 8-9 inches. Bottom clamp is not detachable.
The bottom canister part is crimped together and not openable nor has anything in it. That's the air chamber or "silencer" - like a exhaust muffler for the intake.
There is another correct air cleaner depending on what model/carb and electrics you might have. Some are fitted Delco, some are Autolite(Ford). The other air cleaner, I call a duck bill, it has a flat throat that attaches to the carb and the cantister end lays across the engine (transverse). Search some pictures and you'll see one. The AC (Delco) one is shown on the engine plate side view as correct for 23 series. See plates in info.
You can check what's correct for your car by the type of attaching bracket if it's there. The Delco one is a flat bar that bolts down to the head about midway across and angles up to the silencer for side bolt attachment. Hope this helps, it's a maze even if its complete but if it's missing, we;re guessing unless the experienced help us..

Attach file:

jpg  (118.03 KB)
13733_523b52b4b2861.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (140.14 KB)
13733_523b52e169812.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (55.24 KB)
13733_523b52f294a6f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/9/19 14:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved