Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 185

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

ITS ALIVE!!!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
Ok So it drives and sounds good!!! The carb still needs some stuff but it's making progress! Now I need insight on the tranny, it goes into high and reverse smooth and fine, the torque converter locks up over 15 and everything seems great, I put it in low and it's like its in neutral, no grabbing at all, no grinding or noises. Has any one else had this? I'm hoping its an adjustment issue because the selector needle on the column is off a smudge from what is actually selected. Let me know your opinions and thank you again guys!

This is it by the way.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLSFDjm7s2g

Posted on: 2013/10/30 0:14
 Top  Print   

Re: ITS ALIVE!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Sounds great! Wish I knew enough to help. When my trans gets low (on fluid) it goes into low but won't go into high....

Posted on: 2013/10/30 0:53
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Hey!!
looks great!!

In hi does it run thru gears from start? In hi does it only run in hi?

Really nice!!

Ken

whats up with carb?

Posted on: 2013/10/30 6:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How low on dip stick markings before it presents the high range problem???

Posted on: 2013/10/30 6:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
You may need to adjust the low range band. The process should be in the service manual or you can try to find it in the beginning of my project blog.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 10:19
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
Well from my research this tranny doesn't shift through the gears But it should feel like it because the torque converter locks up? And I am not having an issue with the high range it works fine it's the low range that isn't present. It's a 53 so it's a direct drive ultramatic so no shifting?

Posted on: 2013/10/30 10:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since you have High and Reverse, I doubt it is a fluid level issue. Unfortunately, low is not one of the easy pressure tests to see if it is a hydraulic issue. It only goes into low when you select low and not at all when in high range. In other words, it does not shift automatically Low to High. If it doesn't go into low at all, you can check the linkage and manual valve adjustments without too much trouble. The indicator being slightly off is not in itself a sure sign the adjustment is out of spec. Believe the last published adjustment procedure for that trans was in a Stude bulletinhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SB-340.pdf It lists actual dimensions for a couple of areas instead of needing special tools and gauges.

Low is the forward range that has a band tightened around the planetary when selected. Without tearing into the trans, I would do the band adjustment as a first step. Packard made a change in bands to help the issue but before that change, there is a strut that could fall out if bands were excessively worn. If it appears to adjust properly then the strut is probably OK. If you can't get the 20ft/lb torque on the adjusting screw without turning the screw in much farther than it's present position, then the strut or an excessively worn band would be something to look at.

Hydraulic issues could be a shift valve sticking, a stuck piston or a rubber seal letting pressure bleed off. If cause is hydraulic you won't be able to really smartly diagnose where to start tearing apart without a pressure test. Getting a new gasket and taking the pan off and cleaning the screen would be a good idea just because it probably has never been done. You might see something obvious like a pan full of gunk indicating lots of wear or something laying in the bottom.

Hopefully Ross will be along with better suggestions.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 11:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
O and the carb is missing the starter switch and ball (vacuum leak) and it's missing the choke housing and assembly ( another vacuum leak) and this carb is fairly beat up. I think I'm just going to replace it.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 11:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
Hey Howard, the link in your post takes me to a page that says it's forbidden and that's it.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 12:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks as if something is wrong with that link. Use this one instead. It's a compilation for several trans and with most of the issued bulletins, it's a bigger download. The same adjustment info as the single bulletin is starting around page 18. Might be an interesting read anyway. Almost all bulletins that are not specific to gearstart or twin Ultramatic would apply to yours.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1961Ultramatic.pdf

EDIT: The compilation is still a good idea but the link works now for the single bulletin. Problem was I had ended the sentence with a period and it included it after the pdf file extension as part of the link.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 12:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved