Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 156

BigKev, Packard Don, Bob J, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The Ultimate Fuel Pump Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Found my fuel pump leaking the other day and went to change it out. Easy enough, until I got looking at my first replacement and found the Air Dome was on the other side of the fuel pump, got another replacement and this one had the Air Dome on the same side as the one removed. Then I started researching and the Service Manual shows the Air Dome on the right side of the fuel pump. Start looking at pictures in this forum and found that all had the Air Dome on the left hand side.
My question is does it mater which side the Air Dome is on, all pumps are marked AC, also Is there a manual out there that talks about this?
See the following pictures.
1st picture is from a Service Manual
2nd picture old pump.
3rd picture first new pump
4rd picture second fuel pump
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (10.09 KB)
1003_528b9bfad3a1b.jpg 230X188 px

jpg  (47.60 KB)
1003_528b9c438d1cb.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (50.40 KB)
1003_528b9c7d0c147.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (49.06 KB)
1003_528b9cb3baba6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/11/19 12:15
 Top  Print   

Re: The Ultimate Fuel Pump Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The outlet side that the air dome is on depends on the motor. It is toward the rear of the car (left side) for the 356 and opposite for the 282 and 245.
Easily changed by rotating the lower part of the pump assembly to suit.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 13:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
BDeB is correct, the dome should be on the outlet or pressurized side of the fuel pump. Purpose is to smooth out pulses. Probably get by just fine without one, but install it if you have the dome and the pump has a tapped hole for it. Some replacement pumps came with the boss for the dome but the hole was not drilled and tapped. You can also plumb in a "T" fitting to install a dome.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/11/19 13:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks Guys, you all always make it seem so simple. I looked though all my material and could not find any information about this.
So Thanks again!
Wes

Posted on: 2013/11/20 9:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved