Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 192

Patrick, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Windscreen Glass - Front
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you check the parts book I believe you'll see that, other than the Caribbean convertibles, all front windshield are interchangeable though there are different part numbers depending on the choice of tints.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 15:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've never understood why the Convertible windshield is shorter? From 51-54 they were the same, except for tints.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 16:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I assume it's because Styling wanted a lower, sportier appearance. I think they succeeded, just picture in your mind a 55/56 Carib convertible with a 2 inch higher windshield. I never measured one but I wonder if the closed car windshield in 55/56 is taller than the 51-54 models. Hopefully someone here with one of both handy will give us measurements.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Fellas, I've got an update for you about the new screen. The fitter came back to fit the external stainless mouldings this week and had all sorts of trouble. Pretty much nothing went back like it used to be, especially the side dog legs. He put that down to the smaller size windscreen plus the Steele rubber gasket, which he said wasn't as good as the original in "retaining" the mouldings. Fortunately, he has a lot of skill and expertise with such difficult tasks and achieved a reasonable outcome. If I had a concours car I definitely wouldn't be happy with the way it looks, but I don't and can live with it.

By the way, a friend has new AGP screen which hasn't yet been fitted so I was able to measure it and it's height is 18 5/16" (465mm) across the flat in the centre. Compared to Warren's dimensions, this is 1/8" shorter, which doesn't seem like a lot. However, this means the rubber gasket isn't stretched by that much and therefore doesn't reach as far on the body' and it also makes it much harder to squeeze the mouldings into their correct positions. I'm unable to comment on whether the Steele gasket actually has the same dimensions as the original, so don't know whether this is an influencing factor as well. John

Posted on: 2013/12/6 5:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved