Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
254 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 252

Packard Don, flopperwatcher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

39 glove box
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I've bought a very nice reproduction glove box for my 39 120. I'm not sure yet if it goes in from the front or from underneath. It has metal tabs on the side that correspond with the holes in the metal dash. Does anyone know how it goes in, and is it fastened with screws or nuts and bolts?
Thanks

Posted on: 2013/12/8 23:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 39 glove box
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
David,
I installed mine from under the dash; you'll note the dash opening is stamped such that it provides the glove box opening shape and provides the fastening locations.

Did the glove box insert you purchased include any clips? I suggest using small J clips with the associated sheet metal screws.

Quite straightforward installation. There are factory photos showing flat head slot screws visible and inserted from within the glovebox.

Trying to attach image. Can't seem to succeed, so including address:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXXvciCFWRCfU6JUFS90f7nyqz-e_6LtfzGsDNtUZ1MVrbATrU

Oh, note also that the wire for the clock runs straight down and exits the box in line with the hinges. Mine, like the factory photo, also has a hole on the left side; For what, I don't know. Perhaps an artifact of an unused function, such as another light. I don't know.

hope this has helped.
Pat

Posted on: 2013/12/9 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - just what I needed. The hole in the side was for a courtesy light. I have the light, just no glove box at the moment!

Posted on: 2013/12/9 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
glove box is now installed and it looks great. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/12/9 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Glad it worked. Could you share a photo or image of the courtesy light? I've never seen one, but assumed that was the purpose of the hole. What turns it on?

By the way, you beat me to the Hudson manuals! Have fun with them.

Pat

Posted on: 2013/12/9 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Sorry about the Hudson manuals Pat. My favorite mechanic doesn't like being paid in cash, he prefers Hudson or Model T parts and manuals and dinner. So this will cover him rebuilding the carb on the 39.

On the light, the dash lights and the reading/courtesy lights are controlled by a rheostat on the light switch. As I have changed the switch on my car, I will probably just put a toggle switch under the dash. See page 91 of the Salesman Data Book. If you haven't printed that out yet, it is a real gold mine of information - thanks Big Kev!

Posted on: 2013/12/9 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The courtesy lights clip on the bottom of the dash, and are just small bulbs, somewhat similar to a 51 model. I'll shoot some photos tomorrow.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 22:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
David,
I could not find the image in the sales information book (yes, I find myself looking through this gem often). Page 91 of the original boo includes an image of the box, but not a close enough or clear enough image to show a lamp in the left hole. I checked page 90 of the PDF itself..didn't see it there either.

My car has functional map lights that turn on when the dash rheostat is turned fully, makes sense to use this for the glove box. I'll be looking forward to the glove box lamp photo.

Pat

Posted on: 2013/12/10 21:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved