Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 68

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oversize Piston Pins For V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Does anyone know of a supply source for oversize pins? I see in the Shop Manual several oversizes were available, but have not seen nor heard of any in actual use.
Thanks,
Joe

Posted on: 2014/1/3 21:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Oversize Piston Pins For V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Joe,

I've run across one set of .003" OS piston pins in an engine I rebuilt some years ago.

FWIW, Kanter showed them in their catalog for years. Finally, I had need of a set and tried to order same. Fred told me, "We can't find any and really aren't sure we ever had any."

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/1/3 23:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Thanks Jack,
I was afraid of that.
Joe

Posted on: 2014/1/4 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
joe,

look for chrysler they are more than 3, i think they are 1 inch od,

i have a trw book old book, if i can locate it , i can get a part number.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 16:38
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
chry, 413 engine,, heck forgot using that type of piston, but had mine made,

hh has the chry 413 pistons, in his crib.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 17:11
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Big block Mopar piston pins are 1.094". Pretty expensive to bore rods out .116".

Big block Ford piston pins are better. They're only 1.0403". Press out the bushings, hone .001" under for Ford press fit. But then if using Packard pistons. ya' gotta hone the pistons.

It's possible to make Ford 370" dump truck pistons fit a 352", but that's really a lot of machining and rebalancing. BTDT, got another set with rings if anyone wants a HEAVY duty cast piston.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/1/4 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
The reason I asked about oversize pins is because they may be an economical alternative to new pistons, when the old pistons are otherwise OK.

Also, its easier to ream the existent rod bushing to oversize than remove the old bushing, then install a new bushing, then ream the new bushing to standard size.

I foresee a 352 rebuild in the next six months, so getting my ducks in line. Will address the needed rebuild in another thread.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Joe,

Anyone else have any .003" OS piston pins for Joe? I may have a few, but not a set of eight. You can have them for the shipping if I can find them.

Another possibility is to have your STD pins hard-chromed and centerless ground back to .003" OS.

While you're at it, ask your machinist to use his dial bore gauge to measure your rod small end ID and piston ID and compare it to the pin OD. The Shop Manual calls for .0000"-.0002" in the rod.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/1/5 12:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved