Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Thermostat retainer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Here is a good tip for removing tight pipe plugs without rounding them off.

Take a socket wrench, turn it around backwards, and tap the square end down over the plug.

I use an 8 point socket then fit an extension and ratchet handle to the socket. A 12 point will work too.

You could also use a big allen wrench in a 6 point socket, if you don't have 8 or 12 point sockets.

This also works for brake adjusters with square ends. I think it's Bendix brakes?

Posted on: 2008/8/15 8:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Taking these one at a time:

First, the rear axle filler plug:

An open wned wrnech will not fit in there well enough to proeprly grab the plug, due to the reinforcing "fins" around the plug area.

A 1/2" drive socket reversed will not work because the darn plug is NOT 1/2" like it appears, but rather actually is a 9/16" dimension across the flats.

I bought a 9/16" 8-point socket yesterday at NAPA to try. Even this will be a challenge because the presence of the reinforcing fins around the plug means that I must use a 3" extension between the socket and the handle. THAT will make it necessary to hold the end of the extension rather firmly to keep the socket from sliding off the plug. I'll give it a try sometime today or tomorrow.

Second the thermostat instllation:

I am REALLY glad BigKev said to make sure the thermostat is going in in the right direction. Because, the darn Pakcard service manual contradicts itself on this!

The PHOTO in the "radiator and cooling" section shows the thermostat with the round flat plate at the bottom, whereas the cutaway drawing in the engine section appears to show the opposite! Maybe the photo and drawing are just unclear, BUT:

which way is the correct orientation in this Packard engine?
Remember, I don't have an exisitng one in there to just duplicate the orientation of.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/8/16 10:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The sensing end of thermostat should be toward the engine because there would be no way for thermostat to accurately open otherwise. That seems to be what the various year manuals I looked at show.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
The fins on the pumpkin are the problem. I'll tell you what I did just this morning to get my differential fill plug out.

Take a 1/2" combo wrench and use the open end on the square plug. But when you put it on, put it straight out toward the front of the car. Not like you'd normally use the wrench, but straight onto the top of the fill plug, just as if you were going to insert it into the fill hole. Then use a screwdriver in the closed-end part of the wrench to make a "T" out it. Just turn the "T" to turn the fill plug straight out.

I just replaced my pinion seal. You can see what I am doing in an "under construction" page -here-.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 18:37
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved