Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

Kiwi Lad, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

after market turn signals
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I wanted to put turn signals on my 39 120, but didn't want to mess up the fenders. So I bought these aftermarket Harley Davidson lights, painted them to match the body color and mounted them on strap steel brackets attached to the bumper bolts. They blend in nicely and don't look too unusual except for the amber lens. I guess if I ever take the car to Pebble Beach, I can pull them off quickly enough.....My car had been converted to sealed beam headlights years ago, so I wasn't able to convert the parking lights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Amber-TURN-SIGNAL-Bullet-LIGHT-for-Harley-Bobber-Chopper-Cruiser-Custom-/251198651796?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7c9b3d94&vxp=mtr

Posted on: 2014/1/11 19:24
 Top  Print   

Re: after market turn signals
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
David,
I think you made a good choice. A friend with a 38 Buick added these and they look as if they were meant to be there. My 39 Six had already been fitted with the 1940 lights that were sold in 1940 in kits for the older cars, so I claim mine are period correct. Anyway, when fitted with dual filament lights, the 1940 lights work great as parking and turn signals, but, as you state, the fenders must be drilled for the mounts.

If you have not yet invested in a turn signal switch, let me recommend that you find one with the hazard light function as well. Signal Stat offers such an option; also, if you are or are planning to use LED tail lights, you may want to purchase a slightly more expensive flasher that is insensitive to the bulb resistance and will flash at a uniform rate for either incandescent or LED.
Pat

Posted on: 2014/1/13 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - I went for the Stat version available at Pep Boys, a prime Packard parts supplier. I don't care for the chrome look, but it is good to have the 4 way flashers. I scuffed the chrome and painted it with a NAPA supplied dash trim color brown so it doesn't look so out of place.

I always liked the 40 running lights and considered doing that, but couldn't find any at a reasonable price. But if I did, I think I would do the same thing you did.

Posted on: 2014/1/13 18:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Great minds think alike. The signal stat unit on my car was also chrome, so I scuffed it an painted it satin black. I like your idea of brown better, which would go well with the rest of the interior trim and dash.

The unit itself came off one of the International Harvester tractors my dad bought new in 1972, I remember it well. When he asked me if I wanted the switch, I jumped on it. It is heavily built and easy to take apart and clean; works great, right down to the pilot light.

pm

Posted on: 2014/1/13 19:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved