Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine colors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1941
See User information
I would appreciate someone advising the proper color(s) for 1938 Super 8 and 1939 Super 8 engines. Are they the same? What is the best source for purchasing the paint? Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/1/20 11:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine colors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Best source for paints would be any of the major Packard vendors who may all sell from the same paint source, Bill Hirsch, Kanter Auto Parts, and Max Merritt. I think though it costs a bit more you're better off buying from these vendors though if you're willing to play around with tinting paints, you can save some $. Bell-Telephone green is close to what Packard used, and even that varied a bit over the years.

As to engine color, the 38 Super 8 should be Packard engine green, same as they used for decades, back as early as 1915. There is some dispute on the 1939 Super with some sources saying dark gray but the CCCA and some other "authorities" saying it should be green. Green is the safer choice; you may get some conjecture at PI judging venues though I believe they now accept either as correct for 1939. PI folks will have the latest on this. Gray (Crane Gray) in the 30s was the color of Packard's factory-reconditioned blocks for the 320 and 385 engines and this may (or may not) be the source for the lack of agreement.

Posted on: 2014/1/20 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1941
See User information
Thank you.

Posted on: 2014/1/20 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
My 39 V12 is gray.is that 1 of the exceptions for 39?

Posted on: 2014/1/20 14:59
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 39 Twelve is the other case where there is some controversy; Packards International's judging guide says gray but other judging venues like CCCA say green (unless CCCA has recently changed their mind on this).

Posted on: 2014/1/20 16:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved