Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Service Letter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
There is a 1937 Service Letter on Ebay item #370998463582 Is this one of the service letters that is missing?
Rod

Posted on: 2014/2/5 0:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Service Letter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Is this one of the service letters that is missing?

As a quick-reference, I included a list of any missing issues (and even any incomplete examples) in the introductory text for each installement of the Service Index. There's no installments for any cars earlier than the 33-36 installment because as there are practically no Service Letter (or Technical Letters) in the archive to work with for earlier years.

Yet, there's something out of sorts with that example on eBay. Why would an issue dated May 15, 1937 be labelled as Vol 1. No. 1?

It's certainly possible for the typsetter to have overlooked a "1" for this series since it is actually Vol. 11. In fact, the copy we have for the May 15, 1937 issue shows just such an error, but it's labelled as issue No. 10. However, it has completely different content than the one currently on eBay.

Except for the lube charts, the eBay example doesn't contain anything that wasn't published in other issues.

However, I noticed that our May 15, 1937 issue is tagged (in the top right corner of the front page) as "SERVICE MANAGER'S PERSONAL COPY", while the example on eBay is a "SPECIAL EDITION".

True, we ARE missing the first edition (No.1) for 1937 (Vol. 11), However, in composing the content for the Service Index, I did have access to a copy of that issue, and it's dated January 1, 1937. It's also nothing like the eBay example, and it's also tagged as "SERVICE MANAGER'S PERSONAL COPY".

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the prewar years to say whether there was a separate "SPECIAL EDITION" series of Service Letters published. If so and we start adding them to the archive, we'll likely need to suffix their filename with the letters 'SE' to avoid a naming conflict.

Perhaps others with more experience in this era of service publication can chime in.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 10:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved