Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 brake shoes
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I was wondering if anybody could recommend a place to reline my brake shoes. can this lining be bought or does it have to be made. also wondering if rear drums can be cut.
thanks,tom

Posted on: 2014/2/9 6:48
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 brake shoes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I know they are a dying breed, but are there no brake shops left in your area? Most larger towns and cities seem to still have 1 or 2 still in business, mostly serving the truck business. All could bond linings, some might still be able to rivet. Otherwise any of the better restoration shops have the capability to reline shoes, Automotive Restoration in Lebanon NJ does relining as I'm sure do most or all of the others though their main business is restoration and small jobs like this probably represent more of an annoyance than an opportunity. Have you checked Hemmings - quite a few places, probably a dozen, advertise there that do brake relining. Lining is bought in rolls of various widths, thicknesses, and formulation, still easily available (though asbestos-free). Wider linings can be cut down.

Yes, the drums can be cut assuming they haven't been previously cut to the limit or near it. Back in that era they didn't publish limits on drums diameter so you'll have to rely on some of the "rules of thumb" about how much can safely be removed.

It's best to have the shoes and drum work done by the same shop and one that has the capability to "arc" the shoe linings to the same radius as the drum after cutting.

Here's some from Hemmings, there are a half-dozen or more on the prior page.

Attach file:

jpg  (135.85 KB)
177_52f7987615aa5.jpg 770X586 px

Posted on: 2014/2/9 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I checked with 1 place in hemmings a couple weeks ago and they said it would be 250.00 per axle which seemed high to me.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 17:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow, that seems VERY high, but perhaps your old shoes have asbestos linings to be stripped and disposed of? Did you ask how much if you just supplied naked and clean shoes?

Posted on: 2014/2/9 17:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved