Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 89

Packard Don, Ken_P, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 top replacement questions
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

T from KC
See User information
I would like to know what the correct materials are. The bead around mine was redone and to me it looks like a bead ,windlacing,welt. It has a wire in it and it was tacked down then folded over and some kind of sealant or adhesive applied to seal and prevent leaks. What would the sealant be. and the Beading.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 11:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 top replacement questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I first glanced at your post I thought you were speaking of a convertible top but I now think it's a closed car rubber roof insert you're speaking of. The material itself is rubberized cloth sold by Restoration Supply; most Packards used the "Colonial Long Grain" pattern but I can't assure you that yours did, a short grain is also available. Sealant of your choice, either rubber-based or silicone. The molding has proven to be quite a problem for restorers, it was usually extruded aluminum, both straight sections and curved angle pieces for the corners. The surface profile varied a bit from year to year and model to model. On mine it's held down with small wood screws, the heads of which are then covered with sealant. I know of no source for the molding so you'll probably have to improvise and make something unless someone else has more current news of something available.

As you remove the old roofing fabric you've got to keep your fingers crossed that it hasn't leaked enough over the years to cause rot damage to the wood understructure. If it was ignored for long and did suffer damage, you're in for a tedious job. Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 13:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 top replacement questions
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

T from KC
See User information
My top has tacks with a Welting that is tacked then folded over the tack with very fine wire in the Welting that bends over then it was sealed with a coating for water proofing . I just haven't seen this kind of Welting. All the wood is perfect with no rot or bad places for tacks to hold. The improvising will begin soon

Posted on: 2014/3/2 20:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved