Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Were all the V-8s made from identical castings?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Or was the bore different for bigger or smaller engines?

Supposedly the V-8 was designed to go up to 440 cubic inshes... Again, could a current engine be bored for this or would a somewhat different casting be required?

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:34
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Were all the V-8s made from identical castings?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were three different castings for the three sizes as evidenced by the casting numbers.

With so many of the parts interchangeable between engines, whether the different castings was only to ease machining or whether the smallest could be bored out that large is a good question.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 16:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
320, 352 & 374 all had the same stroke, the only diff is the bore. A 352 can safely be bored 1/8IN to 374. I doubt a 320 could be bored more than 1/8IN, so that would be 341 CID.

My guess on the 440CID would be 4.185IN bore and 4.000 stroke.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/3/7 16:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Engine designers want a certain thickness of cylinder wall. They accomplish this at the foundry by having different cores depending on the final product desired. The sand cores create the internal water passageways and determine the wall thickness of the cylinder. It would be impractical to try to bore a 320 out to a 374 as there is probably not enough material there to remove safely. If you ever get the chance to visit a foundry, take it and try to absorb as much as you can. I enjoyed the work there - it just didn't pay enough.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aren't the external dimensions and bolt points on all the engines the same? If external dimensions are the same and they want a consistent wall thickness, would that mean the 320 with a small bore would have a huge water jacket or would they have done something else? I don't see an obvious external difference but if there is, where or what changes to make the engines swappable model to model.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 18:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I believe that all Packard V8s are externally the same. The bolt holes, etc all line up. The difference is in the cylinder wall thickness but that is an internal dimension. You could stick a 320 block in a 56 Caribbean and no one could tell from a cursory examination.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
randy berger Quote:
You could stick a 320 block in a 56 Caribbean and no one could tell from a cursory examination.

Except for the engine color, of course. But, I'm sure you meant if were also painted ivory or bronze (depending on year) instead of red.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/3/8 5:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Randy

Thanks for the explanation of different cores during casting to accomodate various bores. That makes sense in engine blocks of identical overall dimension, the most cost-affective way to do it.

Now, when it comes to different strokes in engine blocks of identical overall dimensions, are there casting differences internally to accomodate that change? I'm thinking of the 288/327/359 stroke differences.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/3/8 9:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved