Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 55-56 oil pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Pump went right in no alignment problems

mold for crankshaft key, which is 2-1/4 long, 3/16 x 1/4

wherever that saying about 2 piece shaft being for alignment is false..

in my opinion that is, the problem with pump..but will see when its running....

as for gasket that the 56j uses between pump and main, Studebaker engineers might of saw something,

Attach file:

jpg  (71.10 KB)
4498_5366634e99d09.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (73.92 KB)
4498_53666361b6045.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (54.46 KB)
4498_5366652613fbf.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/5/4 10:57
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Several times you have mentioned the gasket 5.04032 as thinking that only appeared on the 56J Stude version of the Packard V8. Packard called for a gasket there as well. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you posted??

Posted on: 2014/5/4 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:

We'll all learn something as Riki puts miles on this re-design.

Studebaker in 1951 and Packard in 1955, design engineers working independently, both came up with a wobble joint in the distributor/oil pump drive shaft.

Studebaker V8s have the joint at the bottom of the distributor. Packard put theirs at the top of the oil pump.

There are two pieces with mating joint to machine, a pin to install, a sleeve to install, another pin to install and peen. Seems like a lot of trouble for something Riki feels could be one piece.

His theory the wobble joint isn't needed is partially supported by most later V8s, i.e. Ford, Oldsmobile, etc., used an unjointed intermediate hex shaft.

The big block Mopar is the only V8 which comes to mind mounting the driven gear on the intermediate shaft and a bushing in the block.

If I ever get the urge, I've saved a BBM drive shaft. It would be interesting to convert a Mopar electronic distributor to fit the Packard and drive it with the BBM shaft and bushing, down to the Oldsmobile pump.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/5/4 12:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did Packard make all their own components for the oil pump or was part of it vendor items. I wonder if a vendor had a ready to use stock length shaft and rotor assy -- perhaps used by others -- and the joint was there to utilize that already made item. Seems like it would be cheaper to make a joint and straight length of shaft to partially utilize something already made instead of going to the expense of machining a complete proprietary pump assy.

Posted on: 2014/5/4 13:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hello, all,

it's all down to running it now,

randy, the packard parts book does not show the gasket, but , studebaker showed gasket, with 56j oil pump diagram,, plate 01-13

packard plate no, 29a does not show gasket and is not listed, this is what i have been refring to, and my gasket set did not come with one, i just want to know if you need one, that is my question

Posted on: 2014/5/4 14:35
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Riki's photos,

Attach file:

jpg  (84.73 KB)
209_5366a4b6c43ff.jpg 1200X900 px

jpg  (86.50 KB)
209_5366a4cee670f.jpg 1200X900 px

jpg  (70.44 KB)
209_5366a4e9762d9.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2014/5/4 15:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
thank you howard,,

question, at sq, pan drops, to outlet, behind sq, pan is sorta flat, i put a straight edge on it, straight enough,, but ,, i put pan on, hit the filter,,never had that before, so moved tube, goes on now, but have little more that 1/4 inch before filter hits pan ,,when i put my finger in drain hole, and lift filter, no gasket on yet, does filter float that close to bottom..??,

thanks,,,,,

talking to p. sw, there are 2 pans, 2 part no.. kanter was looking for 56 pans, one was flat, other had drop.

hope gerry pops in and fills in rest..

Posted on: 2014/5/4 16:31
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Riki Quote:

in my opinion that is, the problem with pump..but will see when its running....

There are THREE other significant problems with the original Packard oil pump that your "fixes" do not address:

1) Inadequate oil pumping volume due to the the spur gear design. Packard on the left, Pontiac high volume on the right (Olds HV is essentially the same as the Pontiac).

Resized Image

2) Poor design of the oil pressure relief sleeve valve and spring. The sleeve is too short and has inadequate bearing surface to hold it square in its hole. Once the sleeve valve gets slightly cocked in an open position, the small relief spring has inadequate force to push it back into closed (full pressure) position. Packard on the top, Olds HV on the bottom.

Resized Image

3) The bottom of the Packard oil pump is 3 INCHES above the bottom of the pan due to allowing room for the vacuum pump whether it is used or not. At the very least this puts the thru-hole for the driveshaft above the oil level in the pan, allowing the pump to suck in air rather than oil if the hole is worn. It also requires the pump to pull against a 3IN hydraulic head whereas if the pump bottom is 1/4in from the bottom (like the Olds conversion), there is no hydraulic head to overcome. Sorry, no side-by-side picture of this.

No amount of fiddling with the driveshaft, bottom plate thickness, etc. will fix these deficiencies. The only real solution is to use the Olds conversion.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/5/4 18:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I assume the cam is already installed???? If so then do u have distributor laying around with a scrap gear on it???? If so then grind teeth off of gear and install distributor. Turn by hand to chek for load or binding.

Posted on: 2014/5/4 18:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The only other test which is easier amd more precise is to remove the oilpump retaining bolts and run maybe a .002 feeler gauge between pump flange and main cap. Turn distribitor 1/3 turn test again. Repeat again with another 1/3 turn.

Posted on: 2014/5/4 18:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved