Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shift on the fly
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
Question: The term shift on the fly. Does that refer to the automatic clutch? JE

Posted on: 2014/5/16 21:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Shift on the fly
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
The term "shift on the fly" usually applies to the four wheel drive system on Jeeps and pickup trucks. It is the ability to engage the 4X4 system while in motion. Some of the older designs required the vehicle to come to a complete stop before engaging 4WD by manually locking the hubs on the front axle.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And I may have used the expression not in a 4 wheel context but probably more a regional and maybe different elsewhere usage.

In my usage it would be more of a fast almost a racing type shift where you want a quick getaway and have the accelerator down with the engine somewhat powered while shifting thru the gears very rapidly.

Electromatics were typically adjusted for civilized use because most Packard owners wanted a more sedate and smooth controlled engagement. Adjusted that way, the mechanism did not handle powered or speed shifts well if the teenager "borrowed" dad's car.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
OK. Thanks. Question answered. JE

Posted on: 2014/5/16 22:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
In my part of the country I think this was called speed shifting. A term I remember from years ago.

Posted on: 2014/5/16 22:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved