Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Power Window Modern Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Let...Quote:
What exactly did you fix on the OEM motors?

What fails, that causes you to replace them?

All kinds of parts failed on the original motors. Open circuit in the windings, broken gear drives, etc. Face it, these motors are 60YO and like us that age, they wear out. At least with the Autoloc adaption, I can just go buy a new Bosch electric motor and swap it in.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/6/11 0:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I missed posting a few pictures that should complete showing the installation.

The top of the Autoloc track also required a shim to get it to align with the window glass rails. I used a 5/16 nut crazy glued over the threaded hole to get the right spacing. Also pictured is the resulting fitment and clearance with the window glass down and the attachment to the inner door panel.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Here's the original Packard regulator and motor which was replaced:

Resized Image

Here's how I held up the window glass while fitting the Autoloc track, lift and motor:

Resized Image

Craig

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:24
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Good info and great pictures and descriptions. Many aftermarket kits available now. These look very similar to what I put in the Willys coupe yrs ago. I have to say I had the same question as let the ride decide because the 55 clipper has the same window lift motors and except for 2 minor repairs which I addressed when I painted the car, I have had no issues in 4 years. I realize your car has the pos grnd to neg conversion and maybe we should discuss permanent magnet motors vs field motors and get more info on which owners of 55 and 56 cars are experiencing window troubles. This may be helpfull to other Packard owners down the road. Were you having many more electrical failures than plastic gear issues? Dan

Posted on: 2014/6/23 18:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved