Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 56 Caribbean fuel starvation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Randy, thanks for asking. The answer is, I don't know. No hills around here steep enough and long enough to find out and I'm not driving all the way up to Wurtzboro Mtn on a 90-degree day to try it, at least not now.

I'm still jerking around (doesn't that sound sophisticated?) for smoother idle, but can't seem to get a nice smooth idle at Packard's recommended 400 (or in some places 450) rpm in H. About 500 is as low as it's comfortable at, at least now. Maybe another go-round on the idle mixtures will resolve that.

The new carbs seemed to have resolved the hot-start problem and low speed stumble that had caused me to richen the primary jets in the prior set of carbs.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 11:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Well, at least you are making positive progress in some areas. Are the Palisades near you - they have steep hills there, don't they? Or maybe you can lower the rear of the car enough to make it think it's going uphill??

Posted on: 2008/9/3 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I would think that if your vac jumped that much then u had a vaccuum leak and the new gaskets will solve the original problem.

My car has Kanters Composite intake gaskets too installed about 6 years ago during a valve job. I ordered the parts directly from Kanter.

My vacuum readings are the same before and after valve job. Used a gas squirter and oil squireter before and after the valve job to test the intake gaskets and other potential problem spots. There were/are no leaks.

My engine has a VERY slight rough idle too but runs just fine all the way down 300 rpm or maybe a little less. Somewhere about 800 rpm it goes away. It is only noticable if the hood is up and looking directly at the engine to see the slight occasional shake.

HOWEVER, the engine mounts are 52 years old and HARD AS A ROCK!!!. That doesn't help. I've tried everything to get the it smooth as silk on the idle. Maybe new engine mounts.

MOST strange are the 2wo idle mixture screws (WCFB). Screw them all the way in or out 12-14 turns has NO effect on idle nor starting under any conditions.

We need to get CarbKing from the AACA site over here or go over there to see what our potential problems are assuming they are carb related. I don't think they are at this point.

BTW. This engine has always started and ran EXCELLENT under a wide variety of extreme conditions so i'm not real thrilled about jerking (i don't have to sound sophisticated) with the carb much more just solve a minor idle condition.

There is a procedure in the manual to checque the valve timing withOUT a degree wheel. It's probably a bit crude but mite yield more insite to the idle issue if u're ambitous enuf to try it. I mite later on. It would at least verify or refute the valve timing issue.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 13:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I put new Kanter's motor mounts in a few years ago because mine were so hard the rubber had actually separated from the steel. Not a bad job, about 2 hours after the car is ont he lift.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 14:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved