Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 130

humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Possible to get in a nice Pack -120 for $25K?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
It's great to hear from someone who has had a lot of experience driving the particular car. I'm only 5'7", 130 pounds, so I'm sure I'd have great difficulty handling a Packard senior. No doubt it would be handling me.

Considering that I intend to drive whatever Pack I get, it's encouraging to know that a Pack 120 will handle highway speeds.

I hope the good souls here don't get weary entertaining my litany of questions.

Kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/15 0:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If you should come down to Vegas, you can drive a 1940 senior, to see what it is like. You also want to try not to have to spend great amounts more than the car ultimately will be worth, if possible. Do it yourself helps in that department.
There should be several late thirties early forties in the San Francisco area, where the owners will let you go for a spin.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 5:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
In terms of handling think wheelbase rather than Junior/Senior. For example - the 1903 mentioned is the same size as a 120, in fact uses the same body.

I advise you to understand what you want in an interior - most of the cost of an interior is labor. An authentic wool interior is an expensive proposition. A serviceable but non-authentic interior can be an odd item to value.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
You're a god-send. I'd love to drive your Pack. And, yes, I do go through Vegas twice a year when I drive home to Louisiana. When I know for certain when my next trip is, I'll let you know and when can schedule to get together.

BTW, I love watching the Vegas-based show "Counting Cars" the sister-show to "Pawn Stars, where the guys restore/customize cars. Although, I have yet to see anything that pre-dates 1955.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/15 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Point well-taken. I'm learning all the nuances of Packard-ownership, especially relative to interior, original parts, etc.

Thank you for your input.
kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/15 11:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Great, let me know. If you can get Chasing Classic Cars, that is a bit closer to the older makes and models. Be patient, there is one out there for you. Know what you can handle physically, mentally, and monetary. They are old and require almost continuous tinkering.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 12:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Also, "What's My Car Worth?" The principals, Keith Martin and others, appraise a wide variety of vehicles at auctions. Interesting to see what the owner thinks the value is, how much Keith appraises it for, and the auction bid. They tend to look at condition 1 and 2 subjects, but not all are high end. I enjoy it and "Chasing Classic Cars".

There is another show made in England, "Wheeler Dealers", which is most entertaining and informative. Mike Brewer and Ed China buy, restore, and sell vehicles. Mostly English and European special interest, but there can be some U.S. and Japanese ones mixed in. Take away here is what is involved in getting the vehicles ready for sale and all the surprises they run into. Ed does a brief tutorial on the work he performs.

I watch these shows on the Velocity channel.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/15 13:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think the real star of this genre is Roger Barr, Wayne Carini's mechanic. He seems to be able to get anything that sat for decades running using a screwdriver and a squirt bottle of gasoline.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 14:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Ok, let me throw another nice 39 in the mix. I've seen it for sale off and on for a while so I guess you can get that price down a little.

http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/4561763863.html

Posted on: 2014/7/15 21:27
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Garrett - that yellow 39 is amazing - this would be a good one for you, based on the photos. Nice looking engine compartment, interior and paint, and a fairly reasonable price to boot.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 19:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved