Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 grill finishing questions please
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am trying to decide how the grill is finished in the lettered spots. Photos I have collected and my grill are either not clear or too weather worn to be sure. Here are the question areas from a photo I believe came from an ebay car.

At "A" behind the openings is a sheet metal extension piece attached to the grill that carries the slot bottoms another two or three inches in. Am sure the pot metal part had the dull aluminum between the narrow horizontal chrome bars and probably immediately behind them in the slots on the pot metal itself. Am questioning if sheet metal piece is a continuation of the dull aluminum or just flat black.

On the horizontal sections of grill, at "B, C, and D" the narrow vertical sections of the pot metal at the end of the grill slots is the question. It looks like they might have been painted dull aluminum too. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Attach file:

jpg  (100.37 KB)
209_5457e903d3f02.jpg 1280X572 px

Posted on: 2014/11/3 15:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 grill finishing questions please
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Howard. If I can recall correctly the A part were black and the B, C, D sections were e dull aluminum in my Super Clipper. It was largely an unrestored car when I bought it and that is how I remember it to be. When restoring the car I painted A in semi gloss black and. B,C,D in aluminum .

Posted on: 2014/11/3 15:54

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks Dave. That sounds reasonable so will paint the sheetmetal as suggested. Kind of thought from a few traces on sides the others might have been painted but had worm off the more visible surfaces leaving nice chrome.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 18:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Dave is correct, "A" is a satin black and the other pieces are a "silver" color called "Argent"

Posted on: 2014/11/3 18:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved