Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

kevinpackard, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: "53 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sure does. Normally the L4 was used on Cavaliers, Caribbeans and Mayfairs. Someone will correct me if wrong, but I believe it could be ordered as an optional engine on the Clipper--or as you said, it may have been changed.

Not quite sure I understand the brake question. Easamatic could be dealer installed on 51's and there is a procedure in 52 service counselor but going the other way requires a bit more work and the parts car but is do-able.

Everything electrical mentioned will bolt on although there may be the Autolite vs Delco bit and the mechanial items will fit as well. If you had the 9 main L6, then there would be mechanical fit issues.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 18:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

overmyhead
See User information
OK, I need to update my profile from 288 to 327. Thanks. Now the big question...should I go ahead and pick up the 300 for the motor and transmission? It sounds like if I do, it'll be cost saving. I think I've already made up my mind, just looking for some encouragement, from those who know!

Posted on: 2008/9/14 18:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

overmyhead
See User information
What I was wondering on the brakes was, which would be less costly to restore and in my case less complicated, easomatic or standard. The hydraulic unit from my Clipper was in the trunk buried in a mouse nest in the spare tire well.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 19:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the big questions would be are you looking at just a driver or are you into matching numbers and authenticity. Another question would the condition of the 51 mechanicals. Aside from looking good, what kind of condition is the engine and trans actually in.

Don't recall whether you said standard or Ultramatic transmission, but Ultra trans had some significant mechanical improvements in 52 forward in the direct drive clutch and valving which might make you want to use the 53 if Ultra is what you have. Don't recall much in changes to engines other than carbs.

Edit: Brakes as to less hassle and ease, then standard. If you do use the Treadlevac, then by all means have it properly checked and rebuilt. Again, there is a great deal of difference of opinion as to reliability on that unit. They were used by many cars for many years without difficulty but they have to be in good condition. Others have had experiences where there was sudden failure.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 19:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

overmyhead
See User information
Mine has a automatic (the 300 does too). As far as matching numbers, I know that's not going to happen. I'll just be happy having a driver!
Good point on the condition of the parts. Aside from the fact that they're there I don't know. We didn't have time to see if the motor was free...I'll go back and check. I didn't take anything off the engine because I wasn't sure if the parts were interchangable. I figured the standard brakes would be easier. Know that I know they are for sure, I'm going to see which will be cheaper. Buying the parts singlely or the whole car.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 19:48
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

overmyhead
See User information
Thanks again for the info and suggestions. It's been educational and enjoyable.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
If you had the 9 main L6, then there would be mechanical fit issues.

What issues would there be? All the '51-'54 engines are externally the same.

Also, if you can get a manual trans setup for one of these cars, then use it over the Ultra, it'll be cheaper in the long run. And, I'd personally go with manual brakes over the Easamatic. Also, cheaper and better in the long run.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 22:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're right. Aside from slightly heavier, no major difference on those engines. I still had the 356 on my pea brain when responding. Do believe I mentioned elsewhere having only a dozen or so active brain cells at one time.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 9:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved