Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: V-8 head part nbr vs cast nbr
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2008/9/17 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ok, got out into the garage tonight to look at my stuff, and here goes:

320 crankshaft, no markings other than "K" and "4" on the last balance weight by the rear main, see attached pic.
320 Rods: part # on my rod is 440774, then a "P" in a box, then a 7. On the other side if the rod is "E558", no other markings.

On my 374, I can't see anything anywhere, which leads me to believe that it's the same as my 320 crank.

As a side note however, on my 320 crank, there are numerous places where material has been machined off, presumably to adjust the weight.

As for the heads on my 1955 320 Hash engine, part # is 440854, these are the long-reach spark plug, fully machined heads. The parts engine I have has the cast dome heads, IIRC.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.54 KB)
34_48d1ed314636a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/9/18 0:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"As for the heads on my 1955 320 Hash engine, part # is 440854, these are the long-reach spark plug, fully machined heads.."

According to Service Counselor page 41 (probably Vol 29 #12 Nov 15 55) the 440854 should be CAST dome with 3/4 inch spark plug hole.

Posted on: 2008/9/18 6:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Kev,

Is it desirable to move the crankshaft info to a different thread? Seems if we might make future searches easier if we left this one thread for head numbers, started another for crankshafts and I plan to begin another for connecting rods.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/9/18 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Sorry Keith, I guess I got it backwards. BUT, since the heads I have don't have "CD" on the end of the part #, I figured they were the machined ones.

Posted on: 2008/9/18 13:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just remember the wording of the SC, they are installing the cast dome heads and in the near future will beginning adding the CD. So that means that some of the early cast dome heads probably don't have the "CD".

Posted on: 2008/9/18 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ok, I DO know that the other set of heads from my parts 320 has short reach plugs, and I can get those numbers this weekend, most likely on Sunday. I have several sets of Packard V8 heads, 3 sets of 374 heads, and 2 sets of 320 heads, including the pair on the engine in my Pat. I have no 352 parts, which I find funny, as they're the most "common" of all the Packard V8's.

Posted on: 2008/9/18 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Hi, Kev,

Is it desirable to move the crankshaft info to a different thread? Seems if we might make future searches easier if we left this one thread for head numbers, started another for crankshafts and I plan to begin another for connecting rods.

thnx, jack vines

Good idea Jack. It would certainly be easier to search for the individual discussions later.

Maybe there could be one, overarching, summary thread at the end.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/9/18 18:10
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JV wrote: "...320" heads, but by my calculations, they should have 8cc smaller combustion chambers than the '55 352" heads if both have the same 8.5 compression ratio. The Hash engines with the 352" heads on the 320" short block had 7.8 C.R., so that also mathematically checks backward.

Re Hash CR:
Ok. so the 55 352 heads have a LARGER chamber by 8 cc's. Then that would explain the drop in CR on HASH 320 engines??? No??

OR, i don't see how it "mathematically checks backwards".

Posted on: 2008/9/18 21:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, if the 320" heads are 8cc smaller than the 352" heads, that would be why they can have the same 8.5 compression ratio.

Yes, putting the 352" heads on the 320" Hash engines would drop the C.R. to 7.8, because if they are 8cc larger, thus the lower ratio.

It checks mathematically. What is the question?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/9/18 23:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved