Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 205

happy, TxGoat, 37Blanche, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

choke stove tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Hi all. I did some searching on this but couldn't find a good answer. I have an exhaust leak coming out from around the tube in the intake. Someone jb welded it before I got it and it just fell out. What is the best way to fix this? Is it replaceable?

Thanks all, bill

Posted on: 2015/1/1 19:58
 Top  Print   

Re: choke stove tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
JB weld fails below 400F.
Slightly squeeze the business end of your tube for better retention. Some muffler dope or discreetly placed tinfoil may seal things up. I have always believed that exhaust leaks are an indication of too much back pressure

Posted on: 2015/1/1 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Thanks. After inspecting it further the exhaust is liking around the outside. Not in the tube. Can I just tap this thing in with a hammer. I have read if it is rusted then it would be leaking through the center hole

Posted on: 2015/1/2 14:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is the tube loose????
Run a coat hanger down thru the tube to determine if it is plugged or not. DO NOT use a drill bit. Use a small diameter wire. Try to feel for any ribbs inside of the tube. It extends (or shoul) all of the way thru the manifold and opens UNDER the manifold. Look there for leakage t oo.

Note that the tube should be STAINLESS STEEL. However i i do not knowwhat Packard actually used in production.

To remove tube: tap it for the appropriate size bolt and pull it out with a slide hammer.

Need to do more research n this to determine if it is SS (or SHOULD BE) and whether or not it has a ribbed kind of venturi area about ceentre of the tube (it should).

Posted on: 2015/1/2 14:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not sure if a pre 70'ish SBC tube will fit it or not. The SBC tube goes thru th EXHAUST manifold. A quik inspection i made of my 56 choke tube some 8 years ago made me think for some reason that an SBC tube will fit. Maybe not. Note that the tube SHOULD be SS to withstand the exh heat.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 14:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Worse case scenario is that tube is burned apart INSIDE the manifold. Which means that only the UPPER portion of tube will remove with slide hammer. In that case determine the length of tube left in the manifold and distance between bottom of tube and valley cover. MIGHT be able to drive out if there is enuf room. IIRC there is NOT enuf room to drive the entire tube out thru bottom without striking valley cover. That's why i recommend the slide hammer and pull out from above.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I looked in the SM and can not find any procedure for R&R the choke stove tube. P27 shows the intake manifold diagram and the tube but no procedureal statements about it. P27 of fuel and exh section of manuaal.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 15:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
The tube is slightly loose. I can move it an 1/8 side by side.

If it breaks apart coming out can I run a rod from the top end to shove it out the bottom or is this why your saying measure it?

Posted on: 2015/1/2 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Log on to Ebay item number 261393105409 to get a view where you tube ends. It just goes through the "hot exhaust" portion of the intake. If you can get your finger or a small mirror under the manifold see if the end is also loose. Copper tubing might work too. If the tube is not broken than actual exhaust fumes will not be leaking. I don't know if the tube inside has holes drilled in it. I think it just sucks up heat through the choke cover. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 19:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved