Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Reproduction Coolant Distribution Tubes?
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Reading various '48-'54 restoration blogs, most at some point in the engine work process tackle the water distribution tube removal and cleaning. Given the condition in which the originals are usually found, what do you gentlemen think of the idea of reproducing them in either the same grade steel as the original or a mild grade stainless steel?

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/8 8:57
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Re: Reproduction Coolant Distribution Tubes?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Stainless might be a nice choice but all of the originals I've seen were made of brass and generally last forever. Rather than just duplicate something that's already available as a repro I'd suggest first finding out if there are any Packard engines for which a repro is not currently available and starting there.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 9:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Agreed. Original Brass or Stainless if you can work with it. the 120 tubes are sporadically reproduced, seems everyone needs one when the vendors are out, then the demand dries up when the vendors restock...

Posted on: 2015/2/8 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SS mite b ok for this particular automotive application. HOWEVER, SS is difficult machine and form. The BRass would be the better than plain steel choice for mfg'ing purposes and longevity. Don't use copper. Copper is very soft and does not hold up well to vibration unless well supported.

What are the dimensions of the distriiibution tube???? Mite get with a brass bed maker buy his scrap.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 15:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Well now wait a minute. I'm a little confused.
From post 1 above:
" either the same
grade steel as the original ...."

and from post 2 above:
"....but all of
the originals I've seen were made of brass..."

I'm not familar with the Packard 8's. So are OEM tubes brass or steel??? How did the steel tubes come into this topic???

Posted on: 2015/2/8 15:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Go back and read post 1 and you'll find the answer as to where steel entered the discussion. I believe all OEM Packard tubes were brass. Some Dorman NORS were steel, as were Chrysler products.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 16:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Guilty! I hadn't picked up on what material the originals are made from and I now learn it wasn't steel! By their condition, its hard to tell though I should have known Packard would have used a better quality material suited to the purpose.

Perhaps repro brass ones for all engines having that part would be a worthwhile club project.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/2/9 8:23
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just for kix maybe explore some kind of plastic tube. For decades SBC used nylon cam gear. Only good for about 60K miles. But a distribution tube is not subject to torque or load and i assume is on the cooled side of the coolant ergo no hotter than a timing gear. Plastics have come a long way over the years. Maybe not a good idea, but something to explore.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
A rigid plastic tube would be free of all the corrosion issues, but would have poor heat transfer, so I think this one stays in brass

Posted on: 2015/2/9 9:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's why you don't want to use steel; I'm guessing this tube was a replacement NORS Dorman taken from a 38 "120" after many years of service.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.77 KB)
177_54d8cea69ee53.jpg 929X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/2/9 10:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved