Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 201

Peter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The saga of a NOS '55 320" short block
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
A few years back in a truck load of parts came a NOS 320" short block. It was obviously more complete at one time, but the past had robbed the cam, lifters, valley cover and oil pan.

The original cosmoline was still there, so finally today I disassembled it to make it ready for sale.

It was interesting to see the factory build, including one main bearing .001" under. There were still the original crayon marks on each piston, for some reason some spray paint on the lifter valley and various paint splotches and markings on the block.

The major disappointment was the years had perished the bearings. Whatever assembly lube was used, plus whatever moisture remained in the crankshaft resulted in corrosion spots wherever each oil hole in the crank intersected the bearing surface.

It will get all new bearings, new cam and lifters, redone heads and rockers and be offered for sale.

Since the 320" was also used in the 1955 Hudson and Nash, I'll have to find where those guys hang out on the net.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/2/12 22:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved