Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Quick Question on IDing engines...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Palanirides wrote:
I wonder what the owner was trying to achieve by putting that engine in there? Anyone know about this mysterious "V92" Detroit Diesel engine?

Unfortunately you see engine transplants more than you would expect. When Packard bit the dust service was non existent for a lot of people or on some engines like the 356 expensive to rebuild. Ultramatics were another thing that people didn't know how to deal with. Owners did what they could to keep the car going but in many cases just pushed it out to the nearest vacant lot. If there was a junkyard handy and had a good engine that looked like it would work, the engine found a new home. I must say though the diesel is a new one. SBC's found their way into several Packards but not so much diesels that I can remember hearing about.

Posted on: 2015/2/14 22:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Got any pictures of this packard diesel?

Posted on: 2015/2/15 0:26
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Hold everything.I was texting with him earlier tonight after I got off work and it turns out the diesel is in a Chevy truck. He has quite a few old cars which he is trying to get rid of right now to make room and says he confused me with another prospective buyer by the same first name who is also interested in both the Packard and other vehicles which include the Chevy truck. Rather than engage in more confusion,I'm heading up there tomorrow morning to see this thing for myself and remove all doubt.

Thank you all for your valuable assistance and resources (links). I will certainly put them to use.

One more question: Is the title important in such acquisitions? If I buy it,it will be transported to my back yard,so???

Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 1:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
I am about half an hour away from the destination. He says there is a "356" marked on the head, and the numbers (389712358, 383723858) he sent earlier from the block did not have either a G or H preceding them.does that help? I will be there soon to see for myself.

...He has no tools on him currently to turn the crankshaft. Dumb question of the day: Once an engine is seized,is it shot -- a goner? Are all seized engines the same in other words?

Posted on: 2015/2/15 14:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You cannot go by any number on the head. They were interchangeable and frequently swapped between engines. Swapping heads was the only method Packard sanctioned if an owner wanted or needed to change compression ratios. Those other numbers seem a bit long for a typical Packard casting or part number.

The dist location will tell you immediately if a 356. If it is not in the center you will have to find the motor number to tell you what it is. It could be very faintly stamped in the ordinary rough casting and not on a pad but should be somewhere around the dist if it is the proper year engine. Also check the location above the starter. Sometimes consistency was not a strong suit on the assembly line or it might be a later engine. The number is frequently covered with grease and dirt so may need a wire brush etc. Look carefully.

Just because it is not turning does not mean it is shot. You will have to take a chance that it is nothing serious and can be freed without too much pain. Could be a lot of reasons so just have to check. Sometimes the rings have rusted to the bore but will free up with some penetrating oil. Other times it is a lost cause and you wind up beating a piston out. If you find a rod sticking thru the block, that is another matter.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 15:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Howard: The distributor is centered and is directly beneath a freeze plug so it looks legitimate.The chrome on this car is in very good shape. Speaking of the chrome,is it pretty much interchangeable between the horizontal grills and the eggshell grills for these models?

Posted on: 2015/2/15 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It would be good to have some numbers to tell you exactly what you have. It is starting to sound like that may be a higher end model. Motor number would be a start. Even if you don't get the car, Owen_Dyneto has collected probably the only remaining database of the thief proof (large embossed number on the firewall with a triangle at each end) numbers so I am sure he would appreciate adding that one to his list. It should be around or above the heater box. If the patent plate is still present, with the hood up it will be a plate screwed to the cowl just ahead of the driver. The vehicle number on the plate is probably the most important number as it tells you the exact model and where it was in the production sequence and if it was a renumbered car. If a later car, it may also have the paint and trim code stamped. The other number which may or may not be the same as the vehicle number is called the Briggs number. It is on a small plate screwed to the engine side of firewall probably under or close to the thief proof number.

As to the grill, I am not the best to answer that question. I know there were some subtle differences in the grill sizes but not sure exactly what interchanges. Others with far more knowledge on the series can help you there.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 15:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Thanks Howard.I will read your response when I stop for some food.I gave just gave him $900 for it and now I just have to find a way to transport it three hours south.It's quite an undertaking to get to the place as it is on top of a mountain with a lot of winding roads.The car is in remarkable good shape considering it's age.Just a little surface rust,but the undercarriage is in very good shape.I plan to strip it for all its parts.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 16:22
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Thank you,Howard for all your information and time.Thank everyone here for contributing.Right now I am at a Bob's Big Boy with a carhop (How apropos,huh?) about to head home.My only concern right now is getting the car home. The property is in escrow and everything has to be gone by the 25th. I want to go up there later this week and put four tires on it so it can roll on and off the transport truck easier in case they have to winch it. The car is in remarkable good shape with no major rust whatsoever.It looks like it's been in California all its life. I have not had a chance to see the rims I have on my '49 coupe,but did Packard use lug nuts at that time,or are they bolted on?

Attach file:

jpg  (61.14 KB)
3019_54e12baa5062d.jpg 800X449 px

jpg  (48.13 KB)
3019_54e12c0faae23.jpg 800X449 px

Posted on: 2015/2/15 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Wheels were bolted (lug bolts 9/16-18 x 1")on. There is a difference between junior and senior wheels.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 20:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved