Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

Mr.D, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Circuit Breaker Relay ('28 5-26)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
I have my instrument cluster out again for some freshening (working clock and speedo finally!), and re-discovered a disconnected and seemingly original device resembling a relay mounted to the back panel cover behind the clock. There's no parts list for my '28 5th in the library, but the '27 Eight parts list includes what looks to be the same part listed as p/n 5753 and referred to as a "Circuit breaker relay".

The problem I have is that the '27 parts list doesn't include a wiring diagram. The '25 six parts list in the library does, but that relay isn't there, so it must have been added in the 4th series. Can anyone tell me what it does (I have assumptions only) and how to correctly wire it in? I hit it with 6V, and it does still seem to work.

When I re-wired the car, I hid modern circuit breakers in the battery box, and installed a fuse panel, so I suspect it's probably unnecessary at this point. I'd still like to know how it was used so I can decide whether to preserve its original function.

Finally, the thing is mounted directly behind and less than an inch removed from the clock. It seems like a particularly bad idea to have mounted a big electromagnet that close to a sensitive mechanism filled with whirring, finely balanced ferrous gears and wheels. Is anyone aware of these screwing up the clock? I'm especially sensitive to that, as mine is only just now actually working!

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (3.63 KB)
42808_5554c71cd41be.jpg 188X158 px

Posted on: 2015/5/14 11:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Circuit Breaker Relay ('28 5-26)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
Nevermind. Found the wiring diagram elsewhere. Looks like it connects in series after the ammeter and that everything except the ignition (and generator and starter of course) is supposed to route through it. I think I'll leave it there, but forego using it.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 12:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved