Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
283 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 283

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 37 Packard 115C Valve Train
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JKowFam
See User information
Throughout this summer, almost everything on the block came apart very well. The break-down process on this engine was amazingly smooth for almost 80 year-old steel. Many of the bolts responded to wrenches without any special treatment. The big parts, such as the crank and cam, are now resting in Fluid Film, awaiting what I can learn via research over the course of the winter. The next major challenge is the head studs. These won't budge for anything...probably cooked into the block during its service life, not to mention 60 years of abandoned rust. I see several tips online, including magic lubricants and welding the nuts back on so you can apply torque. Does anyone here have a best practice tip for their flat head Packards?

Posted on: 2015/10/28 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I initially tried welded nuts, etc. and didn't have very good results. I settled on soaking for several days in lubricant (PB Blaster) and then used a stud remover. I did break off a total of six out of 23, and given the issues the machine shop had getting the remmnants out, I don't think they would have been salvageable!

The stud remover I used (similar style shown in the picture) is nice because you can feel if the stud is turning in the hole or just twisting off. I did break five with this tool, but I was able to gently coax several others out that wanted to break. I also gave each stud several hard raps with a hammer after each application of lubricant and just prior to attempting to remove.

Edit: Photo courtesy of Dave Czirr (Owen_Dyneto) via my project blog.

Good luck!

Attach file:

jpg  (25.79 KB)
2964_56317ed204637.jpg 500X331 px

Posted on: 2015/10/28 21:05
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JKowFam
See User information
Thanks for the tip. This is another cool tool I had not seen before.
If this block ever goes in for refurbishing, I do expect some special machining. The exhaust/intake assembly studs were rotted away and broke immediately. I am guessing some TLC for an old block like this would run a couple thousand...? Anyone had to pay for that work before?

Posted on: 2015/10/29 11:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved