Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Points trouble....
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
Hey everyone... got a new problem. Well, my points are not sparkin in between... I drew a terrible diagram to kinda see what I am talking about. In figure B I have electric current going through, I've tested with a screwdriver. But theirs still no spark in bewteen. Are they too far a part or too close? does this matter? Help me Please!!

Posted on: 2008/10/19 18:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Points trouble....
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Night Owl

I am sure there are WAY better experts here but, if you need a fast answer I can get you in the ball park.

Down and dirty explanation is that the points close to allow the primary windings in the coil energize and develop an electric field in the secondary windings. Then they open which collapses the electric field generating the spark which is then routed to the correct plug via the rotor, distributor cap and wires.

Do this, bump your engine a little bit at a time using the starter until the rubbing block on the movable arm of the points is on top of one of the lobes of the distributor shaft. At this position, the points will be at their widest gap. Generally, they should have a gap about .015-.018" or double the thickness of a business card (if you don't have feeler gauges). That should get you in the ball park enough so that if it doesn't run, you can rule out the points. There should be a screw on the points which you loosen to open or close them by moving the base assembly. Make sure you tighten it up when you're done! After the car is running, you can put a dewll meter on it and fine tune that gap which is called the "Dwell" adjustment.

Hope this helps

Scott

Posted on: 2008/10/19 18:28
1930 Packard 726
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't see a figure so don't know if you posted one or not. If you did, make sure its right type, size with text only in title then after selecting the image, you hit upload. After the picture name shows under the browse button then hit submit.

In addition to what Scott726 said, the path is completed to ground through the distributor. Aside from needing a good tight mount to provide the ground connection there is a small very flexible wire connecting the points to the terminal outside the generator distributor that the coil connects to. Make sure that wire hasn't broken and also make sure the condenser hasn't shorted.

It might be handy if you have a voltmeter to verify the voltage. Connecting one side of meter to ground, you should have 6v on the wire coming from ign switch. The terminal going to dist will have 6v IF the points are open, and should drop to almost 0 when points are closed. If either is wrong, that narrows the search quite a bit.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 18:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Aside from needing a good tight mount to provide the ground connection there is a small very flexible wire connecting the points to the terminal outside the generator the coil connects to.

I'm everyone knows you meant distributor. However, it could be confusing to someone new at this.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 22:19
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're absolutely right. Will correct it. Think I've said before, only half dozen brain cells active at a time.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 22:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The one I have left is getting pretty lonesome.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 22:31
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
I just got off of work and am ready to try your guys info... thank you very much and once again, I'll be needing your help as much as possible thanks tremendously. I love this site!

Posted on: 2008/10/21 18:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved