Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Compression Check Numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
What should the compression check numbers be on a stock Straight Eight?

I removed all spark plugs and placed a compression gauge in each cylinder when the engine was hot and came up with numbers that were between 107 and 118. The numbers were generated after cranking the engine for 5 compression cycles using the starter.

Are these normal readings?

This was done after I adjusted the valves today with the engine hot (took about 45 minutes to complete the valve adjustment procedure) using the Peter Toat method.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 23:47
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Compression Check Numbers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Maximum compression values vary with a number of things including the compression ratio, the altitude at which the engine is located, condition of rings & valves, etc. A compression ratio of 7.0 to 1 (factory spec.) should give cylinder compression values of 119 psi at sea level, 113 at 1000 feet of altitude, 108 at 2000 feet, etc. Anything higher than 119 would indicate that the cylinder head has been cut, or carbon accumulation (which you wouldn't have on a fresh engine rebuild). I'd expect to see the values even out as the rings begin to seat. - check it again in 500 or 1000 miles.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.33 KB)
177_55db1feb54e58.jpg 1245X815 px

Posted on: 2015/8/24 7:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Compression Check Numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks for the info.

Yes the engine is very new (only about 2 hours cumulative running time).

We are at 238 feet so I would think 118 PSI should be fine.

After 1000 miles I will try it again.

Posted on: 2015/8/24 9:41
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved