Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Timing a 1937 Packard 6
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
This is kind of embarrassing but I have never needed to set the
Timing on my 37 Packard 6. I noticed that the distributor has very little movement. I swapped out my engine and want to make sure it is timed correctly. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 12:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Timing a 1937 Packard 6
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
There is a bolt on the distributor clamp at the 12 o'clock position, tangential to the distributor shaft. Loosen this and the distributor rotates under the mounting plate. The mounting plate has slotted holes for using the economizer, but not for adjusting the timing.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2015/10/21 15:44
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Timing on these 115s is a bit awkward.

The distributor can be moved two ways. One, the most easiest, is by loosening the thumb screw on the "Octane Adjuster" bracket. This will allow a small amount of movement. The other way is to loosen the clamp screw which is located on the bracket that fastens the distributor to the engine. This allows more movement.

The timing marks are located on the front surface of the flywheel and can be viewed through a hole under the starter. The first time I did the timing on my Six I removed the inner fender panel on the driver side to see the marks. This also involves jacking up the car and removing the left front tire.

Having done this once, and not wanting to repeat the procedure, I made a pointer out of heavy wire and fastened it to one of the timing chain cover bolts. I marked the damper to show TDC, 10 and 5 deg advance, and 10 and 5 deg retard. This I coordinated with the flywheel timing marks.

I used a timing light to view the marks on the damper and flywheel.

I set the "Octane Adjuster" to "0" with the timing at the setting. I do this so if I want to advance or retard the timing with the Adjuster I will know where my standard setting is. I think I set it from 4 deg to 6 deg advanced.

Clear as mud? I'll post some photos to show the bracket and adjuster. I'll be right back...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/10/21 15:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I'm back with three photos. First shows the bracket assembly, next is a close up of the Octane Adjuster, and lastly a peek at the bracket clamp screw as installed. I made up a short piece of tubing and used a longer screw in order to more easily get to the clamp screw. First photo shows the original and shorter clamp screw. Don't forget to fill the grease cup and tighten it down a couple of turns to lubricate the shaft bushing. Hope this helps.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (30.77 KB)
565_5627fb8e3b80a.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (23.00 KB)
565_5627fb9f49f2f.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (22.48 KB)
565_5627fbb176718.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2015/10/21 15:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved