Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: New Packard owner questions....
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
morgan

the fuel is pumped tot the carb by the pump located at the front left of the motor if youre looking down from the front. the pumping action is achived by a lever activated rubber diaphragm. this diaphragm becomes weak after many years and exposure to new ethanol fuels. the lever used to pump the fuel is activated by the camshaft, and so there is an opening between the fuel pump and the crankcase. when the diaphragm ruptures, it can pump gas into the engine diluting the engine oil, which is very very bad.

i believe the matching ford pum is for the 292, but i dont know what years check the parts cross ref.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 21:27
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Yes, 292 Ford Y-Block fuel pump will work. I bought one at Napa and used it until I could rebuild the old one. Like a lot of other stuff you buy, today, I wasn't impressed with the new one (cheap, tinny throw-away)- although it worked. I obtained a rebuild kit for the old one,reinstalled it and kept the new, cheap-looking one for a spare.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
gotta love quality replacement parts

Posted on: 2008/11/10 22:05
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
True, not a mechanic but willing to learn. I have the exploded view and understand (or soon will) how the gas leaks and appreciate the information you gave me about the alternate pumps that would work. I wish to keep this car as original as possible (very nice work was done about fifteen years ago). Suggestions as to suppliers for rebuild kits would be gratefully appreciated (as well as gaskets and parts) needed for this work? My shopping list is growing as the transmission needs to be flushed (needs a kit), do I need a new gasket when I drop the pan and the what about rebuild parts for the brakes. Sorry lots of questions.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Tom Hannford's Antique Auto Parts Cellar offers fuel pump rebuild kits, but if none are avaliable for you model, he can reline your old diaphragm.

He also offered this online, operating under Then and Now Automotive:

www.then-now.com

...but I can't get the site to load right now.

In the past, he also advertised in Hemmings Motor News, but I haven't subscribed to that one in years.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 8:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The original pump on the V8 Packards was a Carter, far less common than the AC pumps used on most cars and most other models of Packard, and I think you'll find that rebuild kits for Carters and much more difficult to come by. Also, old kits won't be satisfactory for long because the rubber diaphram that does the actual pumping won't be compatible with today's gasoline. True it's not a difficult unit to rebuild if you have the kit, but if not or if you don't want to try it, send the pump to a good pump rebuilder like Gould Rebuilders, Terrill Machine, etc. Gould's current price to rebuild is $95. All these folks advertise regularly in Hemmings; if you can't come up with contact information, just ask again.

As to why the pump failure puts gasoline into the oil, the pumping action is created by a rubber diaphram which flexes up and down via a pivoting arm which is operated by an eccentric on the camshaft. When the diaphram flexes in one direction, it creates a suction and one-way valves allow it to draw gasoline from the tank. When it flexes the other direction, the gasoline above the diaphram is forced up to the carburetor. When the diaphram get a hole, some of that gasoline is pushed back into the crankcase.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 9:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
OK..I will contact him about the pump. As far as the oil situation goes..do i need a new gasket for the pan? And the off road diesel you mentioned previously..what exactly is that? Fuel or oil? Please clarify. Thanks in advance!!

Posted on: 2008/11/11 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I think that the off-road diesel was mentioned as something with which to flush your engine with after cleaning the gunk out of the pan and the oil pump pickup screen. In the old days, before detergent motor oil, we used to drain the oil and (in my grandfather's practise) use a mixture of kerosene and motor oil to flush the engine (turned over several times with starter motor and then thoroughly drained) before adding the new motor oil.

You will need new gaskets for the pan and for the tranny pan. Tht filter in the transmission is of the metal screen type and can be cleaned. Gaskets are available from several sources, Best Gasket, Kanters, Max Merritt, Sandy Chirco at Tuscon Packard (and probably more).

Posted on: 2008/11/11 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Ok..so let me make sure i understand this right.
I put off road diesel GAS into the engine oil with the marvels and the 10w-30?

Posted on: 2008/11/11 13:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
there is no such thing as off road diesel gas.

i simply ment to add one quart of off road diesel in place of one quart of motor oil, one quart of marvel in plaace of a second quart, run it for a short time, then change the oil again. this will clean out the lifters and any clogged passages.

OFF ROAD DIESEL IS THE SAME AS HOME HEATING OIL.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 13:19
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved